advertisement

Do you use acoustic treatment in your listening area?

rough edges

Sapere Aude
I don’t at the present time, but I’m considering it. Also, if you do, did you have it professionally installed?

Brian

Professionally installed acoustic rock wool covered with micro-perforated stretch ceiling - completely killed the ceiling echo really worth it

I utilize two GIK absorber/diffuser panels, plus heavy curtains, does the trick for my space, with omnis one can do too much and ruin what they are capable of. I installed them myself after a good bit of trial and error on placement....

Yes, i built 3" deep panels for my electrical panel & water shut off compartments, filled them with Bats of Roxul & wrapped them with natural fibre material from Fabricland/JoAnn type stores. Also made 2-2'x6'x3" panels to place at 1st reflection points on walls of music/listening room. There is a lot less harshness & echoing in the room & will likely spend $$ for acoustic foam for ceiling above my sitting position.

I do, as my small music room suffers from flutter echo if left untreated.
I use panels from GIK. They have a wide range of sizes & styles to treat most situations. Their help & advice is useful, even if they will probably suggest more treatment than you had thought you needed.

I have a GIK Acoustic Sound Panel in front of each of my two central heating radiators. These virtually eliminate the radiators ringing especially at high volumes and has, as a by product, generally improved the room’s acoustics.

Richard

Interesting.
Can you post a photo of the boundary detail?
Photos are not my strong point :)
All you see at room boundary is a thin (about 4mm) profile edge to the ceiling - I had mine done in black which nicely details the boundary between mat white stretched ceiling and grey painted walls.

Yes my room is treated, an acoustic pro gave me some helpful devices.
Basotect 1000 x 500 x 100mm (16 pieces), Flexi A50 (2 piece), Flexi A 50 Ref. 22 (5 pieces), Moondream acoustic curtains (2 pieces)

I don’t at the present time, but I’m considering it. Also, if you do, did you have it professionally installed?

Brian

Installing most commercially available treatment options is no more complicated than hanging a picture or moving a piece of furniture. The real skill is in choosing what to put where. Blue Frog Audio will provide you with plenty of solid advice. If you can send them measurements captured in your room, they can provide some pretty detailed analysis of what is going on and design a suitable treatment plan.

http://www.bluefrogaudio.co.uk/

Unless you have a high tolerance for large bass traps, consider using a mixture of EQ to deal with low end modal peaks and absorption placed at the first reflection points.

Unless you have a high tolerance for large bass traps, consider using a mixture of EQ to deal with low end modal peaks and absorption placed at the first reflection points.

An important point - I believe it's much more difficult to tame any bass problems than upper frequencies.
The latter can often be sorted (as suggested above) by heavy curtains, rugs, upholstery etc.
Seems the only real cure for bass problems is bass traps, which are somewhat intrusive unless you have a dedicated listening room.

I have two GIK 244 Bass traps with diffusers. They are in the corners on the wall behind the speakers, but the right hand one gets moved in front of the double glass doors on the the left hand side of room where the first reflection point is when listening. The right hand half of the wall to ceiling behind the speakers is comprised of recessed storage full of records and books so does really need further damping. I damp the radiator on the right hand wall with a rug and one of those self inflating camping mats at the first reflection point when listening. Ideally I would use another GIK defuser, but SWMBO is not happy with the present amount of room treatment.

All installed by trial and error listening by myself. 'Slap / Flutter Echo' was more of a problem than Bass unevenness.

Nothing more than old-school studio live-end/dead-end thinking, i.e. for every opposing surfaces one must either be an absorber or a diffuser (carpet, curtains, bookshelves etc). Works very well given a sensible room shape to start with (why live anywhere else?).

PS The thing that amazes me these days is how many people have bare reflective floors, that is never going to sound good!

advertisement

Back