advertisement

Do people look at you funny - when you tell them how much you spend on hifi???

Well, yeah, because it is! being an engineer myself(and having countless record engineer friends) I can tell you that LOOKS are the smallest reason the professional guys ridicule the hifi crowd.

The primary reason is the absurd claims(cable differences, freezing cds, cd pens, tuning fuses, vinyl demagnetizers, mpingo discs, mana stands, cable elevators, some of the vibration control products, the claims that various valve types (in the same amp circuit) impart "night and day" differences(valves dont have a sound. the amp circuits do...no valve has a "sound" you can pin down") , belief in SET amps, anti digital, the list goes on and on and on) ., THOSE, coupled with the whacko marketing, absurd markups for equipment designed around ridiculous "design" principles(that have no basis in science) and the nature of audiophiles in general(who seem to care more about box swapping and endless tweaking than about music, one massive wang measuring contest)...... are the reasons why the hifi crowd is a laughing stock amongst audio professionals.

at least aesthetics/appearance is *some* sort of reason for paying absurd prices(well, not really, but more of a reason than some of the idiotic ideas these "designers" have IE designing by ear, shunning measurements, etc)

it is the only group of people who, when given facts, facts that cannot be refuted... will not only choose to look the other way(so that they may continue tweaking and spending money on worthless things) , but *agressively* fight the facts, and call anyone who cannot hear these imagined differences "tin eared" (you dont have golden ears like us, etc)

the obligatory mandatory youtube post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

...and you are saying...........what?:)

I don't think I've spent that much, bizarrely. I do get funny looks for the Wall of Quad loudspeaker system, and reasonably so, but the rest of it is visually reasonable and as it was all bough second hand it was inexpensive. On the way I've also picked up stuff that I've just traded, and this has funded other bits of the hobby. I'm probably listening to about £2k, there have been times when I was listening to a lot more. Having sold on the higher budget items and generally made a few bob on the back of rising prices of things like LP12s, the net spend is probably £1000-1500. Spread over 15 years (when I moved on from a Rega 2, £100 amp, £100 speakers type system) that's pretty modest and probably less than most people have spent on TVs over that time. Since my TV was £90 secondhand and I've had it 5 years so far, I reckon the money I've spent is the least of my concerns. I've spent more on bicycles, and I'm hardly a big spender on those when compared with many cyclists.

Talking about how much something costs is incredibly vulgar, so I don't.

No it's not. It's interesting to see what people spend on hifi.

If I was in front of you boasting then fair enough but I don't know you ( the only person I that knows is my mrs before you say anything) the only reason I have said is because I'm anonymous, this is a forum and it's factual information so if u don't like to hear it then you probably ain't got it to spend so look away.

Some people :rolleyes:

When I said I'd sold a record player recently for 900 a couple of people were stunned... And I said I had 5 people interested in 4 hours it was for sale... Rega planar 9 :)

More people are impressed with my projector than my CB active system I don't say how much it all is...

...and you are saying...........what?:)

hell, I dont know! you tell me! im just stream of consciousness riffin' baby!

no really.

if superb performance is what one is after(technical performance) that is easily found in the myriad pro audio brands for much, much less money.

it relates to the thread i think because

I am no longer ashamed to tell what ive spent on my system. even though it is spendy, i feel that my money has paid for the excellent engineering /design and the performance reflects that. wasnt the case when I was buying "audiophile" brands. ( i am ashamed to say that at one time my "audiophile" expenditures could have sent one of my girls through four years of uni. what i have now basically cost one and a half years tuition. ;) but seriously.. I feel a lot better about it because I know my money actually paid for sound engineering rather than some foo-tastic magic fairy dust component/speaker..

So im kinda like Serge, just better looking. :) (just kidding, Serge, you handsome beast)

i am ashamed to say that at one time my "audiophile" expenditures could have sent one of my girls through four years of uni. what i have now basically cost one and a half years of tuition

all of a sudden I feel much better! :D now i'll carry on with them subs I was wanting lol.

Most close friends and acquaintances understand. I have several that have tens of thousands worth of firearms and various weaponry. Modded sports cars and even kitchen appliances that would rival a high-fi in the 75-100K range. Even those with portable HID lantern systems in the thousands per. There is nothing exclusive about dedicating resources into your preferred hobbies.

Most close friends and acquaintances understand. I have several that have tens of thousands worth of firearms and various weaponry. Modded sports cars and even kitchen appliances that would rival a high-fi in the 75-100K range. Even those with portable HID lantern systems in the thousands per. There is nothing exclusive about dedicating resources into your preferred hobbies.

Yeah? Thats awesome. I am a big time gun lover too. I have two smith and wesson M+Ps,(my favorite handgun of all time) a couple of glock 17s, springfield double aught 6, two crossbows, a sig p220, a mossberg 590 tactical shotgun, and a couple Russian Moisin Nagants.

all of a sudden I feel much better! :D now i'll carry on with them subs I was wanting lol.

I was perfectly happy until I found out I had been being taken for a ride by "hifi".

since crossing over to pro gear, I can honestly rest a lot better.

and seriously, go for two subs. youll thank me later ;) when they get there, use one vs two and youll see!

You should move to the UK, that would curb your spending on firearms. A Glock? A Smith and Wesson 38? You'll be handing them in at the Police Station, sir.

They'd let you keep a rifle or two, provided you had the appropriate secure store, inspected by the Police, natch.

Never mind, with the money you save you can fill the car up with petrol. :rolleyes:

The commonest comment I have had is "my hearing isn't good enough to benefit from an expensive hi-fi". When I play them my system they are always gob-smacked. My system cost me (much) less than a new Mazda MX5. Most people having heard it don't think I am mad.

Nic P

The commonest comment I have had is "my hearing isn't good enough to benefit from an expensive hi-fi". When I play them my system they are always gob-smacked. My system cost me (much) less than a new Mazda MX5. Most people having heard it don't think I am mad.

Nic P

I have never heard your system, but now I know it costs less than a Mazdz MX5, however that plays out as a definition, I don't think you are mad.

Just normal, which probably means in some little way you may well be mad.

I am mad, I just spilled my own beer, now I am going to take myself outside and give myself a bloody good kicking.

advertisement

Back