advertisement

Do men drink cocktails?

we do make cocktails at home, but part of what we like is the atmosphere of being in a bar.

Pricing has been interesting over the last few days - London £13-£15 a pop, Belfast £9
Those prices are frightening (even Belfast!), used to get 3 pints for 5 bob when I were a lad!!

£9 was surprisingly low. £6.10 for a pint of Guiness. Pint of IPA in my local is £5
That is surprising, because part of the cost of a cocktail in a bar is the theatre of having it made for you, watching the swirling, orange peel burning, bottle flipping, and all the rest as you sit there in the bar being entertained and having a nice time. It's a lot more fun than sitting in The Beath drinking Belhaven while Rab and Wee Jamie talk about the football, and that's worth paying for.

That is surprising, because part of the cost of a cocktail in a bar is the theatre of having it made for you, watching the swirling, orange peel burning, bottle flipping, and all the rest as you sit there in the bar being entertained and having a nice time. It's a lot more fun than sitting in The Beath drinking Belhaven while Rab and Wee Jamie talk about the football, and that's worth paying for.
You have obviously never been to 'Garlic and shots' in Soho. Although I expect it's no longer what it was when I used to stop in for a breather during weekend crawls around London's Sam Smith Pubs.

You have obviously never been to 'Garlic and shots' in Soho. Although I expect it's no longer what it was when I used to stop in for a breather during weekend crawls around London's Sam Smith Pubs.
So "Garlic and Shots" is just as rough as The Beath? I doubt that, very much.

Was in Barcelona for 4 days last week. One night we ended up in a cocktail bar called Paradiso. It’s ranked as the 4th best bar in the world. The cocktails on offer are certainly very imaginative!

IMG-2404.jpg

IMG-2410.jpg

Those prices are frightening (even Belfast!), used to get 3 pints for 5 bob when I were a lad!!

You were robbed, 11d a pint when i was at school, 10 pints plus a packet of No6 and still had enough change from a £1 note for a bus home.

First time i gave up fags was when they went up to a wallet busting 6d each

We have some spirits in the house but never drink them, I think we bought them for guests and the occasional odd recipe but both are few and far between these days. I was thinking of trying a few cocktails to get rid of some (how long does vodka last in a bottle?) but being used to beer drinking one screwdriver would be gone in 5 - 10 minutes I’m sure and would use up most of my daily allowance of alcohol. Was just casually wondering if any fellas here do ever partake of a cocktail or two.
Not at home that's for sure. But then I don't drink at home, never have with the exception of when entertaining. But when I've gone out or been invited to a BBQ or Dinner, yes definitely. I'm not a huge beer* fan, so I'd just as likely sip a Caipirinha as have a bottle of lager (really not a bitter/ale etc person, though I do like a good stout).

And yes things like G&T, Rum & Coke, Vodka & Orange are all cocktails, and I've certainly had plenty of the latter two in my life (particularly the R&C).

*Using the term generically before anyone jumps on me for mixing up Beer, Ale and Lager etc (Larger?).

Ugh - just noticed the date of the OP.

Seriously, if you're not drinking Cocktails because you think they're "a womans" drink, then you really are missing out on a whole world of delicious drinks. In comparison to the huge range of flavours, sweet to bitter, refreshing to gut destroying of cocktails, "beer" is all the same.

the theatre of having it made for you, watching the swirling, orange peel burning, bottle flipping,
I can honestly say I've never seen a bar person do that while making any cocktail, except in flims. Clearly I frequent the wrong bars. :)

I have done, when I was a student, we had just received our finals results, (1984) and it was happy hour, but not since.
Nice enough by all accounts :0)

I can honestly say I've never seen a bar person do that while making any cocktail, except in flims. Clearly I frequent the wrong bars. :)
You just need to get out a bit! Any big city, find a cocktail bar and there will be people juggling bottles. A mate used to be in the bar trade, he was a relief bar manager going all over the country, and a number of the bars used to employ people specifically for their juggling skills. It was designed in as part of the experience, because it kept the punters entertained and if you can make a hen party stay for another round of drinks, and another, because they are having fun looking at the good looking barman or barmen tossing bottles back and forth, then you can make a lot of money.

I think I'll pass. My days of going to bars in central london are over. It's all just stress, noise and overcrowding to me now. I don't mind a bit of energy in a venue but I just can't be bothered with spending 20 minutes at a 3 deep bar being continously jostled by drunk people just to be served a drink.

I think I'll pass. My days of going to bars in central london are over. It's all just stress, noise and overcrowding to me now. I don't mind a bit of energy in a venue but I just can't be bothered with spending 20 minutes at a 3 deep bar being continously jostled by drunk people just to be served a drink.
I'm 5ft 7in (in my heels) and on the slight side, it usually takes me about 3 hrs to get served in a crowded bar. 😬

i used to have a side job, working with cocktail bars (over that time i probably worked with 10 maybe 12 bars) in London over a period of 20 odd years, and the number of places you can see bottle juggling I can think of is one, and was about 10 years ago.

I have never known a bar worth their money employ people for juggling skills. Always for their palate though.

advertisement

Back