advertisement

Discombobulated but reassured

It's amazing just how good they sound. Bought one from a PFM member a few months back.
I entered into Squeezebox some years ago.Wish I had had it earlier. Had a touch but always wondered what a Radio or Boom was like. It is a remarkable thing. One speaker but beautifully balanced and effective. I really love it and I’m so pleased that I regained a Touch and sourced a radio. With the Reece tvCommunity firmware it has been a welcome return and it puts the music first. I think the system is way ahead of competitors.Always has been really. They’re still catching up IMO.

I'm simply discomspeakerlated at the mo'. Finally 'tested' my crackling ESL 2905 today and left it on to see. Eventually, via various noises from crackles, pops, white noise and buzzing, I realised it was just one panel. Was tempted to try putting music through it but thought it pointless so got my diminutive and redundant JPW Golds, stuck them on my shot-filled Target stands and fired up for radio 3.

Took a time to open out a bit and not sure I can really get off at this end of the speaker scale, but it's better than nothing! These JPWs are 18 x smaller in fascia area than my Quads and sound it but guess at least I can play records and CD now through speakers. The rub is that my Focal Elear cans were on a par (but different) to my ESLs, just very private. Ho hum, not sure what happens now; phone Quad next week. First speakers in 55 years (of good m/coils) which have failed; not sure the ESL benefits are compromised too much by the downsides.

.Reading this detritus while listening to music via about 20k of headphones system
We all have our cross to bear :rolleyes:

That's a can do attitude there, but no need to be cross about it. :D Interested in what constitutes £20 Ks's worth of can and can-opener; must be ESL, surely !

I can listen to music on the TV and get plenty of enjoyment. When I go back to the HiFi, and although the quality is undoubtedly much better, somehow the brain changes to "listening to HIFI" mode, and I am much more critical of any imperfections, which can sometimes be a distraction from the music.

On balance though, I do get far more enjoyment from listening to music via the HiFi, which makes one more aware of details such as the acoustic, instrument timbre, stereo imaging etc, and I'm far more inclined to close my eyes and listen intently. So the extra £15k+ of outlay is worth it after all!

I can listen to music on the TV and get plenty of enjoyment. When I go back to the HiFi, and although the quality is undoubtedly much better, somehow the brain changes to "listening to HIFI" mode, and I am much more critical of any imperfections, which can sometimes be a distraction from the music.

On balance though, I do get far more enjoyment from listening to music via the HiFi, which makes one more aware of details such as the acoustic, instrument timbre, stereo imaging etc, and I'm far more inclined to close my eyes and listen intently. So the extra £15k+ of outlay is worth it after all!
Have a nice B&O TV with decent integrated speakers so watching concerts etc is very enjoyable.

I’m pretty sure an Alexa enabled Sonus One would be more than enough for me. Incidentally there is one in the classifieds. (No connection)

My problem is that I switched to a Sonus distributed system about 3 years or so ago so that I could hear Radio 4 around the house without having to have multiple transistor radios tuned in to Radio 4. Now the radio 4 signal via the cable system has gone to pot ie considerable worse than the Radio 4 signal by the VHS. So I am stuck with no radiio.
Any suggestions on how to get reliable Radio 4 given that I have 5 Sonos speaker units and a couple oof the Sonos infra-structure boxes.

My problem is that I switched to a Sonus distributed system about 3 years or so ago so that I could hear Radio 4 around the house without having to have multiple transistor radios tuned in to Radio 4. Now the radio 4 signal via the cable system has gone to pot ie considerable worse than the Radio 4 signal by the VHS. So I am stuck with no radiio.
Any suggestions on how to get reliable Radio 4 given that I have 5 Sonos speaker units and a couple oof the Sonos infra-structure boxes.

You just need to add the BBC Sounds service to your Sonos.

advertisement

Back