advertisement

Discogs

Lots of records graded NM- is generally a warning sign for me - I just assume the seller is over-grading and work on the basis that they'll be VG+, especially if they're pre 1970.

I also look for a description of flaws - if it's VG+/VG+ and says something like 'a few hairlines and minor scuffs, name written in biro on rear of sleeve' it indicates the seller has at least looked at the record properly even if it's not been play graded and gives you something to go on.

I contacted a seller once to ask how a VG graded record played. "Like a VG record" came the response :D No sale.

I also bear in mind that a lot of sellers aren't professional record dealers, just music fans having a bit of a clear out. So the accuracy of grading will inevitably vary.

As others have said upthread most sellers are happy to resolve any problems (though I've never tried calling one a lying cheating bastard!)
Started selling on discogs earlier this year having a clear out. So not a professional dealer here. But having sold 200+ LPs on ebay about ten years ago with 100% positive feedback I think I know what I am doing (to some degree at least). The records are play graded and I give a description mentioning eventual flaws and problems. I also offer two or three LPs in G+ condition, which won't sell probably. But I hope to show this way that my VG, VG+ and NM gradings are valid.

I tend to play the record through again if I have interest from a potential buyer.

I have made mistakes, but they tend to be early things that I listed when I was learning the ropes. In that situation I have been honest with the potential buyer and usually send it free, or charge them nothing for it - that is if they still want it. Depends what it is and what I have missed.
Individual service and all that.
I did this once when I was not sure. Found some minor issues I had not mentioned and told the potential buyer so. I offered a price reduction, but he wanted to look for a better copy. He gave me top feedback.

I did this once when I was not sure. Found some minor issues I had not mentioned and told the potential buyer so. I offered a price reduction, but he wanted to look for a better copy. He gave me top feedback.

That’s karma for you.

Just started buying and selling on discogs, and some of the prices are a joke. Same as Ebay 'Buy it nows', an absolute clown show. Been selling on Ebay for a while, and buyers really appreciate properly graded records. Most of mine are vg+, a very few ex, and one or two I hardly ever played will be Nr Mint. You get sellers who just label everything the same, usually VG+ whether its mint or knackered, I understand why now, its time consuming! If there's an issue, just refund, not a big deal over the odd sale. Something that really gets me though, is records which look nr mint, but for some reason play with persistent crackle. Often they'll have some kind of very mild mildew like substance on them, only noticeable under strong light, and you have to angle the record to catch it.

Seems to have hit a run of bad Discogs purchases in recent weeks....

John Zorn CD NM/NM- "played once" arrived absolutely covered in deep scratches. Seller has gone to ground.
Sealed Billy Harper reissue has a massive warp.
Coltrane 80s OJC reissue NM/NM- "best copy you'll find" has very audible scuff throughout first track.

When I politely raised the issue with the Coltrane LP with the seller, and asked whether they would prefer me to return it or offer a partial refund. I got a long breathless rant accusing me of trying to scam them. Apparently they'd been driven from Ebay by scammers like me and I'm the first person who has ever contacted them with a problem on Discogs in two years and I was obviously trying to blackmail them so I don't leave negative feedback.

FFS.

I just bought two having paid over the odds on both occasions - one was the wrong pressing, obviously so. The other NM had a scratch giving a saturating click over 5 revolutions. I've not received a reply from either ...

Something that really gets me though, is records which look nr mint, but for some reason play with persistent crackle. Often they'll have some kind of very mild mildew like substance on them, only noticeable under strong light, and you have to angle the record to catch it.
Would be worth cleaning them if you have access to suitable equipment.

It can be almost impossible to spot groove wear but that sounds like there's maybe just some kind of crud in the grooves.

A couple of pleasant Discogs purchases. Yay!

Bought a Red Garland LP on Esquire missing it's sleeve for a tenner. Nice loud cut with RVG stamp - after a clean sounding pretty nice! Would be nice to have the sleeve of course but with Esquires now fetching lolprice very happy to find this.

Bought an original 1975 press of Donald Byrd's Stepping Into Tomorrow for £12. Arrived in brilliant packaging and turned out to have been very conservatively graded (for Discogs!). First cheap copy I've seen in the UK after looking for years so well chuffed. Great record too!

A couple of pleasant Discogs purchases. Yay!

Bought a Red Garland LP on Esquire missing it's sleeve for a tenner. Nice loud cut with RVG stamp - after a clean sounding pretty nice! Would be nice to have the sleeve of course but with Esquires now fetching lolprice very happy to find this.

Bought an original 1975 press of Donald Byrd's Stepping Into Tomorrow for £12. Arrived in brilliant packaging and turned out to have been very conservatively graded (for Discogs!). First cheap copy I've seen in the UK after looking for years so well chuffed. Great record too!
That is cheap, seems to be rarer than Places and spaces. What grade was it?

That is cheap, seems to be rarer than Places and spaces. What grade was it?
Sold as VG but actually closer to what you'd expect from a Discogs VG+ ie. a few hairlines and light scuffs.

I think the seller just looked at the average sale price which is mostly US sales and includes a lot of cheap beaten up copies.

Sold as VG but actually closer to what you'd expect from a Discogs VG+ ie. a few hairlines and light scuffs.

I think the seller just looked at the average sale price which is mostly US sales and includes a lot of cheap beaten up copies.
Yeh, the US seems to be groaning with this stuff, rather than the dribs and drabs we get in the UK. Wonder would it be worth visiting and shipping back a thousand odd LPs? For one's own collection and to sell some here too?

Yeh, the US seems to be groaning with this stuff, rather than the dribs and drabs we get in the UK. Wonder would it be worth visiting and shipping back a thousand odd LPs? For one's own collection and to sell some here too?
It would certainly be a fun trip!

John Zorn CD NM/NM- "played once" arrived absolutely covered in deep scratches. Seller has gone to ground.
Sealed Billy Harper reissue has a massive warp.
Coltrane 80s OJC reissue NM/NM- "best copy you'll find" has very audible scuff throughout first track.

When I politely raised the issue with the Coltrane LP with the seller, and asked whether they would prefer me to return it or offer a partial refund. I got a long breathless rant accusing me of trying to scam them. Apparently they'd been driven from Ebay by scammers like me and I'm the first person who has ever contacted them with a problem on Discogs in two years and I was obviously trying to blackmail them so I don't leave negative feedback.

FFS.
Rule of thumb buying from Discogs (or eBay) - only buy from sellers with 100% feedback. Never had an issue if item is not as described but maybe I've just been lucky?

Rule of thumb buying from Discogs (or eBay) - only buy from sellers with 100% feedback. Never had an issue if item is not as described but maybe I've just been lucky?
Me too Mike - or 98% or whatever allowing for feedback from odd lunatic buyer. I think I've just been unlucky.

Mostly I was just really surprised at the reaction of the seller accusing me of trying to scam them out of a fiver! Pur-lease....

It's daft because I often look up sellers who I had a good experience with and see what they've currently got listed. I love hunting for records and I tend to be a repeat buyer if someone has interesting stock. But there's no way I'm going to bother with a seller who has been a PITA.

I seem to be a bit stuck with this. Discogs referred me to Paypal where I opened a case. I've provided Paypal with a photo showing the scratches and they've initiated a refund.

The snag is I need to provide tracking details for the return to obtain the refund. But I don't have an address or any details from the seller. And they're maintaining radio silence...

In other news I ordered a sixties US Blue Note pressing and the seller has sent me a CD... 🤦‍♂️

I seem to be a bit stuck with this. Discogs referred me to Paypal where I opened a case. I've provided Paypal with a photo showing the scratches and they've initiated a refund.

The snag is I need to provide tracking details for the return to obtain the refund. But I don't have an address or any details from the seller. And they're maintaining radio silence...

Update: Paypal closed the dispute and found in favour of the seller because I couldn't provide a tracking number to return the damaged CD to the seller who has refused to provide their address. *sigh*

I have a Xendesk ticket open with Discogs but all that happens is every couple of weeks someone pastes in a standard 'how to get help' blurb and it's pretty clear no one is actually reading my messages. *sigh*

So I'm stuck.

I'm only £11 out of pocket but it would make me think twice about spending more than a certain amount on Discogs now. The buyer protection just isn't there sad to say.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom