advertisement

DikMik (Hawkwind) RIP

Tony L

Administrator
Hawkwind’s VCS3 bleepmeister Michael ‘DikMik’ Davies has passed away. Sad news, he was a truly innovative electronica pioneer IMO who left an indelible mark on their finest albums (the early ones!). RIP.

Indeed. Those early Hawkwind albums were a key factor in my becoming interested in synthesisers etc. They are great and sadly underrated albums IMO. The combination of the hypnotic repetitive rifs with Nik Turner’s free-jazz sax and DikMik’s almost Subotnik-like synth abstractions really was something entirely new and to my mind far more interesting than the vast majority of UK rock of its era.

Blasting off on Friday night; propelled by the harvest from the fields on star ship Hawkwind, and returning to earth on Sunday was a rite de passage for many.

Rest in space.

Digital synthesisers never quite captured the ambience of the slightly psychotic-looking freak by the side of the stage (why were they never put centre stage instead of vocals/guitar) in festy/spacerock bands. Bent over oscillators, audio generators-twiddling knobs as the waveform would be displayed on those little tellies with green wavy lines, nowadays (or even the nineties) they merely press/ed a few buttons on the laptop or keys on a synth thus preserving their good posture. Even the 'noise' had a different sound. Progress? Pah.

Indeed. Those early Hawkwind albums were a key factor in my becoming interested in synthesisers etc. They are great and sadly underrated albums IMO. The combination of the hypnotic repetitive rifs with Nik Turner’s free-jazz sax and DikMik’s almost Subotnik-like synth abstractions really was something entirely new and to my mind far more interesting than the vast majority of UK rock of its era.

advertisement

Back