advertisement

Diet ideas - what actually works?

PS Portion control can be had by using smaller plates and bowls. Worked for me. No need for spreadsheets. Oh, and buy a simple scale to measure your progress - plenty on Amazon. If you want to get some insight into water retention, muscle mass, health age etc, decent gyms usually provide the appropriate machines.

According to the modern Mifflin St Jeor equation for Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), the typical BMR for someone resembling me is 1,390 kcal/day.

Thanks for that. My BMR is 2,000 kcal/day which agrees with general figures for my age and lifestyle. I used this calculator. Very useful.

Thanks for that. My BMR is 2,000 kcal/day which agrees with general figures for my age and lifestyle. I used this calculator. Very useful.

Plugging my numbers into that page gives me exactly what I calculate, but for different labels on the various activity levels. But I add again that this is a calculation that best fits a population. It may not correspond to the right numbers for any individual, but may be a good guide if taken broadly.

Calorie deficit. The end. You can lose weight eating cream cakes.
You can. Provided you don't eat many, and provided that the reduced quantities of other foods that you can now eat make up the necessary nutrients. Bloody hard work though, on both of the above fronts, not least of which is that a cream cake won't do much to stay your appetite.

You can. Provided you don't eat many, and provided that the reduced quantities of other foods that you can now eat make up the necessary nutrients. Bloody hard work though, on both of the above fronts, not least of which is that a cream cake won't do much to stay your appetite.

Yeah, I wasn't advocating it, just saying you can lose weight eating anything no need to go without.

Is Ozempic or Wegovy covered by the NHS?
I'm not sure. I know that some diet suppressants have been and maybe still are, and I know that meds that stop you being able to digest fat and so get fewer calories out of your food have been also. You can get stomach reduction if you are sufficiently obese and pass a few tests in terms of being able to cope mentally with eating less. These treatments do not address underlying disorders however, I have a friend who is a compulsive eater and who following bariatric surgery persuaded herself that "eating smaller meals, more often" meant that she ciuld eat more or less continuously. She managed to retain most of her weight, and stayed as a T2D, which is rare in anyone following bariatric surgery. But that's what happens when you address the symptoms and not the disease.

Yeah, I wasn't advocating it, just saying you can lose weight eating anything no need to go without.
I do this on my day off once a week. After 6 on Friday, anything goes. Keep the diary though, just so you know why you feel absulutelt shockingf on Saturday morning.

And carbs have their place - they help stop us from feeling hungry.
Carbs are not all equal. They have different glycemic indices (G.I.). So downing a couple of pieces of white toast with jam wouldn't stop your hungry for long compared to peanut butter on wholegrain toast.

Lost nearly seven stone in about 6 months by cutting out bread, spuds, rice and pasta. Also stopped the sugary stuff and alcohol. Exercised fairly vigorously for about 30 minutes a day. You can eat as much veg/meat/fish and even dairy as you like. The weight comes off easily to begin with it gets harder as you approach your ideal weight. Carbs are difficult to give up. They are quite addictive.

If you need to lose weight then you need to change habits, sustainably. People always think of diets as a temporary phase, losing weight without yo-yoing involves a change in what you eat and how you eat.

Learn how to flavour your food, smaller portions or less interesting foods can be transformed by herbs, spices and sauces; sometimes a grating of parmesan adds interest out of all proportion to the negligible calories added. Learn how to make sauces, even the packet sauces can add interest without being too unhealthy. My partner didn't like fish but now can't get enough since we started making white or cheese sauces to go with them.

Lost nearly seven stone in about 6 months by cutting out bread, spuds, rice and pasta. Also stopped the sugary stuff and alcohol. Exercised fairly vigorously for about 30 minutes a day. You can eat as much veg/meat/fish and even dairy as you like. The weight comes off easily to begin with it gets harder as you approach your ideal weight. Carbs are difficult to give up. They are quite addictive.

Commendable, but it has to be something you can do for the rest of your life- can you go without spuds, pasta, rice and bread forever? It's a lot easier just eating what you like but keeping in a calorie deficit.

It's a lot easier just eating what you like but keeping in a calorie deficit.
Not if the diet is mostly carbs, even with calorie deficits. You just end up constantly hungry. In my experience, hunger control (or lack thereof) is the main factor in the successfulness of dietary lifestyle changes.

I'm down 4 kg so far this Ramadan. Missing the midday meal and trying not to over do the evening meal works and has improved my blood sugar.

I'm not sure. I know that some diet suppressants have been and maybe still are, and I know that meds that stop you being able to digest fat and so get fewer calories out of your food have been also. You can get stomach reduction if you are sufficiently obese and pass a few tests in terms of being able to cope mentally with eating less. These treatments do not address underlying disorders however, I have a friend who is a compulsive eater and who following bariatric surgery persuaded herself that "eating smaller meals, more often" meant that she ciuld eat more or less continuously. She managed to retain most of her weight, and stayed as a T2D, which is rare in anyone following bariatric surgery. But that's what happens when you address the symptoms and not the disease.
Do you remember Olestra? Also eating is a fundamental pleasure in life and when you take away the ability to satisfy it ( eg through surgery) some people get depressed for pretty obvious reasons.

I know what to do, I just don't have the will power to stick to it.

What would work for me is to have someone lock me in a room and control my food intake.

Last time I lost a lot of weight, I thought I was dying of cancer, and because I was so petrified, it put me off eating. I lost about 3 stone, and everyone noticed.
Ironically, overeating will probably kill me, and I've given up trying to lose weight.
I hope the suggestions I can offer help:

Don't buy the fatty, unhealthy and excessive quantities of food that I am assuming are the cause of your problem. Trim the quantities in your pantry. If its not in your house you can't eat it. This might be as simple as stop buying biscuits and cakes. Once you put an effort between you and overeating you might choose to not go out of the house to forage for the excess calories.

Don't cut your calories so drastically. Slowly eke away the excess pounds. Then the rapid weight loss won't give you thoughts of failing health.

Don't get derailed by well meaning friends who see you losing weight and declare "you don't look well". They are conditioned to seeing you as your heavier self and react this way to the change. If they'd only ever known a slimmer, healthier version of you then such comments would never be made.

If you really believe overeating will kill you then if I was you I'd ask myself, is this food so delicious its worth giving up years of active quality life and ultimately dying early for?

From my own experience of switching to a healthy diet, at first it seemed bland and unfulfilling. But as long as you completely ditch the bad but tasty food you soon stop missing it. Then you become happy with your healthy diet. Your mind adjusts to the new diet and lets you live happily ever after.

advertisement

Back