advertisement

Devialet Phantom (part II)

Popped over to a local furniture making who is cutting up my desk to make a pair of rather solid stands to see progress

Phantom z stands by c-g., on Flickr

By end of next week...

I'd like some fancy buckoff feet for this, only for looks, mind. The rest of the desk including the infill oak will become a quadratic diffuser with angled tops for extra nerdiness...

talking about feet - I like the look of the blue suede shoes there. Assuming they're yours Clive can you give a bit of info pls.

Deffo D with a red circle with this trusty sidekick Collomostomy Boy who poops sachets of pure AB knowledge from his Utility PR&Da bag.

I am fascinated by what colour Disbeliever's underwear will be on the top of his costume. We will all know soon.

ps not my shoes, I don't wear shoes. I decluttered my shoes yesterday. Eating them tonight

Popped over to a local furniture making who is cutting up my desk to make a pair of rather solid stands to see progress

By end of next week...

I'd like some fancy buckoff feet for this, only for looks, mind. The rest of the desk including the infill oak will become a quadratic diffuser with angled tops for extra nerdiness...

These look to be perfect in terms of height, top plate, colour; and incredibly cheap:

https://www.vidaxl.co.uk/p/50138/aluminum-speaker-stands-transparent-safety-glass-2pcs

Are the woofer and midrange diaphragms made of the same plastic as the case?

I know the woofer material was specially selected because the forces applied caused traditional cone materials to implode.

Feels like it. The ring around the mid feels plastic and the centre tweeter cover is definitely metal. The plastic doesn't feel cheap and its 11kg so not too heavy but not too light. The case is the most inert I have come across in a small speaker even when playing serious bass damage, dubtrot and ponycore...

When I get the Z stands made I shall be comparing the two on a more even footing and deciding if I really need the D200/B&Ws.I want to keep them as they are objects of beauty to me ...

It will be interesting to read that. I know a shop in London that stocks Devialet. Hopefully they will have Phantoms to do a home demo with when I upgrade my kit later in the year.

Jack

It seems from Colloms' own forum that he was hoping to stir up some controversy with his article - possibly to get some people to subscribe to his publication.

I quote

It appears he's been disappointed by the lack of response. IMHO it just shows the relative irrelevance of his current publication as well as a degree of confidence from Devialet owners that his expressed opinion is based on something other than pure listening.

The last line in that quote just summed it up neatly for me. I've personally not had a more involving system in a quarter of a century and my ankles grow stronger by the day given their constant work outs when listening.

We are all entitled to our opinions but do try to either form your own based on listening or take those expressed by industry insiders with more than a modicum of skepticism.

If Colloms' wants a reasoned debate on the pros and cons then I suggest he opens himself up to questioning on PFM rather than trying to get people to read HiFi Critical.

I've drafted but not posted a couple of replies. I used to rate him and Messenger but this episode has utterly convinced me that they're in Naim's back pocket so I can't trust them any longer which is a huge shame.

I'm going to buy a pair of silvers for the holiday cottage.

I heard them again yesterday. Wifey wanted to buy some bed linen at Harrods, so of course I offered to accompany her and give moral support. It cost about 20 mins of beard-stroking and discussion of the relative merits of 1000 vs 400 threads per inch. By the end I’d won a full complement of brownie points which will go towards said Phantoms.

I'm going to buy a pair of silvers for the holiday cottage.

I heard them again yesterday. Wifey wanted to buy some bed linen at Harrods, so of course I offered to accompany her and give moral support. It cost about 20 mins of beard-stroking and discussion of the relative merits of 1000 vs 400 threads per inch. By the end I’d won a full complement of brownie points which will go towards said Phantoms.

And I thought it was only Roman Abramovitch who bought non-sale bed linen in Harrods...

Just as a heads up WRT Colette, I enquired about exchanging Phantoms for Silver Phantoms and they said the package is opened so no Silvers for me. I could sell the Phantoms and buy Silvers I suppose but I just cannot be bothered, they sound great and I have no idea what I would be buying in real terms when I find 50 is plenty loud.

Items should be returned new, unused, and with designer garment tags still attached. Please note that beauty products, unwrapped high tech products and items on sale can not be returned.

So tread with caution. Know what you are buying before buying from Colette.

Are you within the distance selling regs? I don't know whether they apply but I would assume if they are selling into the uk they would.

17307546036_e94b261a3e_c.jpg

So not the Blue Suede..... That's a rather liberating ensemble you have on there Clive ;)

Colette are fine with a return and upgrade to Phantom Silvers. Just as long as the package is complete. i am tempted. Should i?

advertisement

Back