advertisement

DAVID CHESKY (Chesky Records) Audio Studio System includes QUAD 57s (modified) and REL T7 subs

In the 1990's when I was into car audio I bought a couple of Chesky Records very well recorded test CD's which were/are great for setting up car or domestic systems plus some tracks of interesting music.

I use One Thing Audio Quad 57's with Batpure super tweeters. David Chesky with a few others was involved in an article 2013ish for 6Moons re selecting amps for Quad 57's in a USA system. As Chesky notes in the above video, most of the usual suspects as I had also found due to the Quad 57's weird impedance had no bass though good in other areas hence the erroneous idea that Quad57's have no bass. I have tried Quad 303,405 & Quad 2's also Leak & Radford plus many others more than 20 different ones mostly borrowed. Winner of the 6Moons piece was an ASR Emitter 1 second was a Rogue Atlas Magnum I bought the latter it was as I have said before a marriage made in heaven.

My OTA Quad 57's are in my room a placed even flatter ie less angle giving a much wider "sweet spot"...

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/roadtour7/roadtour3again.html

Been there, done that in the early 80s.

ESL 57s, home made bass bins with 10inch ATC drivers and Piezo tweeters mounted on top. Sounded pretty good.

Been there, done that in the early 80s.

ESL 57s, home made bass bins with 10inch ATC drivers and Piezo tweeters mounted on top. Sounded pretty good.
Were they the Jimmy Hughes inspired piezo horns that I made in the late 70's early 80's. The Batpure super tweeters I use sit in those original horns though needing no L pad.

I ran with these Quads from 1987 till 2008 with a Naim Nait at first followed by a 42.5, Snaps, 140. In 1993 I changed to an Exposure 15 and used them that way until the Quads got replaced with Tannoy DMT-15’s. In 2018 I resurrected them into service in my rec room hanging from the ceiling but that lasted only several months before I went back to my Tannoy System 1000’s which sound great and make a lot more sense in that location. I still have them in storage and feel like the guy who has a fully restored Corvette in his garage but never drives it.

hysj3Ae.jpeg

I bought a couple Chesky Records CR1 and CR2 at the CES show back in the mid 80’s when he was just getting started. I’ll have to dig them out and give them a spin.

Were they the Jimmy Hughes inspired piezo horns that I made in the late 70's early 80's. The Batpure super tweeters I use sit in those original horns though needing no L pad.
No they were cheap as chips, intended for car audio I believe. Used as super tweeters they opened up the sound stage. ProAc used them for years.

advertisement

Back