advertisement

Dave Schmidt - One-Man Spacerock Revival!

nickl

pfm Member
Sometimes you get a tiny feel for what it might be like to be an archaeologist – scraping away at something small in the ground that turns into a major find where you keep on unearthing great stuff.

In this particular case it’s a treasure trove of contemporary psychedelic German music that should quicken the pulse of anyone who likes krautrock, spacerock or even mid-period Pink Floyd.

That process started a couple of months ago when I first heard a Zone Six track on Stuart Maconie’s Freak Zone (BBC Radio 6). That was a track from their 2003 album Any Noise Is Intentional. I did a mini-review at the time where I mentioned that, excited as I was it was tricky to track down their other work. Well, a little research turned up sources for the other Zone Six albums and also revealed a string of other albums by other groups all of which had a common theme – Dave Schmidt: spacebass, synths, drums…

What’s more, they’re all great!

Zone Six. They’re an improv band in which Herr Schmidt plays bass. The first album Zone Six is from 1998 and is different in that it features an American singer (Jody) improvising over a mixed array of generally gentle psychedelic-effected instrumental tracks. Considering that the poor lass was given one take on the whole album it’s pretty impressive, but it is very different in feel to all of the other stuff here and, though good, is probably the weakest of the Zone Six albums and is the only one to feature vocals in any significant way. In addition I have no idea where you’d get it from as I lucked into mine second-hand.

There’s a gap then to 2003’s Any Noise Is Intended where the style’s changed quite dramatically – Jody’s gone for a start. This is classic spacerock improvisation out of the Amon Düül 2 book (Phallus Dei, second LPs of Yeti and DOTL) where the guitar leads and synths do their best Dik Mik style fills , interspersed with moments reminiscent of early Ash Ra Tempel. Excellent.

The next year brought Psychedelic Scripture, more space improv but this time a rather quieter affair lead more by the synths than the guitar across three long tracks, though this doesn’t mean that it doesn’t rock occasionally. Excellent too.

This year they released a live album Live Wired 2004 with a new guitarist and that’s brought a rather harder edge to their improvisation, and brought them back more towards the Amon Düül 2 or even Guru Guru sound. Thoroughly excellent.

Samples and more details from their official website, which includes a pile of live downloads.

Wetltraumstaunen (Space is astonished?). They are Dave and Andi Heinrich. Their first self-titled album was released in 2001 and is a delightful mixture of instrumental-only styles that fit really well together. There’s a fairly straight-ahead rock track to start with, followed by Clockline that will have any La Düsseldorf fans sitting up straight, then Kraut which is nailed on for fans of Obscured By Clouds/Meddle period Floyd. But the gem on this album is the 21 minute track Astonished….Like The Universe that builds beautifully from Schulze/Tangs synths through to a full-on fuzzed wah-wah guitar with Hawkwind-style synth swooshing finale. Wonderful.

I’ve only just got their second album, Weltraumwelt (2004), and is immediately different again in that there are vocals on some tracks. I have to say that on first couple of listens, though the instrumental elements are again excellent, the vocals don’t quite come up to the same standard. Here's their website

Sula Bassana. Is Dave Schmidt doing everything (or so it would appear). The only album out at the moment (another looks like it’s on its way) is Dreamer. The influences are the same basic building blocks as before, but this time the Floydian feel is to the fore, and indeed the last track is an improvisation of what appears to me to be a bass-line from Atom Heart Mother. Excellent. Here's the Sula Bassana website - you’ll notice a certain circularity here!

There were MP3 downloads on both the Weltraumstaunen and Sula Bassana sites, but there have been issues that mean they’ve been withdrawn for the moment. I'd post small samples myself, but they don't really do the music justice.

Liquid Visions. From The Cube (2004) is Dave with another group of guys (who I can't find credited). This time the influences are from another part of the early 70s. Anyone who liked the guitar-driven Man/Nektar European development of the early Quicksilver/West Coast sound should love this to bits, though there’s something there for Wishbone Ash fans and the track Ebola Monster sounds like a classic early Black Sabbath riff!

There’s a MP3 that’s escaped the chop here, but that’s not really very representative of the above album.

Where to get them? Well, in the UK The Freak Emporium has the best coverage, but I’ve also used Greatest Hits (in Germany), and CDExpress (in The Netherlands). Stoner Records (in the US) also stock some of them, though I've not used them myself. Vinyl versions are available for some the above too.

I have to say that all of the above have, over the last few weeks, brought huge grins to my face. Yes, they wear their influences on their sleeves, but to me they manage to blend them in such a way that you never feel as though you’re listening to mere pastiches of the originals. Neither are the effects over-done - phasing is used (but never over-used) to great effect.

I've since bought the earlier Liquid Visions CD - Hypnotized, and very good it is too, again in a Man, early Nektar sort of way.

Oh, and through one of the link-throughs on the Sula Bassana/Zone Six/Weltraumstaunen sites I ended up at the home of the Oresund Space Collective, a group of Sewdish/Danish/American musicians playing jammy space rock (never guess it from the title would you).

Anyway, they have a vast pile of live stuff available on their website as MP3s. I've only scratched the surface (comparatively), and though the jamming quality is a bit mixed it's definitely got something going for it if you're into this sort of thing.

And finally, on a similar theme, I came across this album by The Vocokesh. I'm pretty sure I found some longish samples somewhere at some point, but I'm buggered if I can remember where they were, so these Amazon ones will have to do. I was intrigued by the description (and they're very Bevis Frond BTW) and also by the name, because they're named after Abe "Voco" Kesh, producer of the early Blue Cheer albums. You're life's complete now you know that - admit it.

Well this is mostly news to me but my one contribution to this essay is by Lothar and the Hand People ....... I have this 68 vinyl (Including the track 'Standing on the Moon') from new so if I have the name wrong I can check....... I am looking for a cd of Ramasses first lp called 'Space hymns" released on Vertigo in 1970 I think ... I have this too on lp but would like to hear the digital version ..... A German firm released it 2-3 years back but I was too late and they sold out.

'White Noise' on early Island also is early spacerock and influential

Sorry this is so disjointed Im doing this and looking after an ill relative at the same time!

Pace

ianr

Ah Lothar (who was a theremin) and The Hand People (who were the humans in the band...). On Space Hymn (Standing On The Moon) one was supposed to lie back and be hypnotized by the music and at the end one would believe one was actually on the Moon. We used to lie about in darkened rooms trying very hard..."Are we there yet?".

And White Noise is indeed mostly marvelous.

What I think is great is that there are lots of people making music now, in a pscyhedelic style that doesn't fallback purely on pastiche to be good.

I've also stumbled across the work off Nick Riff and On Trial (both yanks?) and another German band Vibravoid which, though song-based rather than the largely instrunmental stuff I started with above are all excellent and all recent.

So, what other neo-psychedelic current bands are worthy of note?

glad more ppl have discovered this man! I have the majority of the releases that he's been involved in, amongst others, 3 copies of "dreamer" :-D I think Liquid Visions broke up recently, but Zone 6 is very active now ... will be fun to hear more from them.

advertisement

Back