advertisement

Dave Gilmour, Pompeii - BBC 2 Saturday

Thanks for the "heads-up" on this. I watched it yesterday. It didn't really do it for me - so I've saved some money not splashing out on the BluRay.

When I first listened to my vinyl version, parts of it sounded to be slightly tizzy, verging on to distortion, and having watched it on TV I wondered if all that smoke might have had an effect?

When I first listened to my vinyl version, parts of it sounded to be slightly tizzy, verging on to distortion, and having watched it on TV I wondered if all that smoke might have had an effect?
Glad it's not only me who finds this show tipped up on the treble. I noted it over on SHF but found myself in a very small minority. I doubt if the smoke had this effect, my guess is it was deliberately mastered this way to give a crisp, etched sound, to cater for the older listener perhaps? Whenever I listen to this album I need to bump the 16kHz and 8kHz sliders down a bit on my EQ to tame the 'sizzle'.

Oooooh...you have a graphic equaliser for equalising yer graphics...I though they were a big no no...

I watched it last night. I’m really no fan of his solo work and have no interest in Floyd past The Wall, but good grief that bloke can play guitar! Forget everything else, the guitar sound and playing were just astonishing, every bend absolutely perfectly to pitch and just effortless in delivery. It actually had me googling afterwards as I just couldn’t understand how a Strat can make the sound he gets, especially on the pickup settings he looked to be using. It turns out there is some shenanigans going on in that his guitar is rewired so the neck pickup can be on with any other pickup combination (which you can’t do with a standard Strat). Impressive stuff anyway.

My Strat was built with the middle control knob assigned as volume pot to the front Pup allowing me to have bridge and neck together or all 3 on at the same time.

advertisement

Back