advertisement

Dancing Hawaiian Hula Girl - Which Film?

Madagascar 2?

hqdefault.jpg

There’s a ‘70s Burt Reynolds movie with a scene where he’s lying in bed looking at one on the table beside him. Don’t know which, maybe White Lightning or The Longest Yard.

I never realised the prevalence of the Hawaiian Hula Girl Dashboard wotsit till now!

My Mam also quoted the Elvis Presley film ‘Blue Hawaii’ as an early source.

“Origins of the Hula Girl Dashboard Doll
The first Hula Girl Dashboard Doll was created in Hawaii in the early 1900s. It was created after Hawaii became a popular tourist spot, giving visitors a souvenir to put on their cars. This small doll quickly gained recognition in the United States, as well as in pop culture.

These dolls were initially made out of wood, and they were designed to look like Hawaiian Hula dancers. You can easily identify their appearance by the Hula Girl wearing a green skirt.

The Hula Girl became a popular decoration for cars in the 1950s after being featured in different movies and TV shows. “

(https://beatthecarsalesman.com/when-did-the-hula-girl-first-show-up-in-cars/)

Cant remember the name of the film, but there was one where a bunch of ageing astronauts were called in to fly the space shuttle on a mission to save the world. James Garner had a Hula Girl he put on the cockpit dash, from memory.

Just realised, if I park my car at a certain place (now) I can see the Hula Dancer performing from my Listening Position :)

This is most pleasing.
There is something existential or Zen about something happening with no one to witness the event, ‘tree falling in the woods’ ‘the sound of one hand clapping.’

The hula girl dances on regardless.
Sweet.

advertisement

Back