advertisement

daft punk

But really, what is the use of burying our heads in the sand?

Chris

I'm not burying my head in the sand when I buy things from the record shop which Amazon doesn't sell. Amazon are pretty useless for vinyl in general, but entirely useless when it comes to 12s, particularly when the labels actively avoid the likes of Amazon.
Amazon isn't the be all and end all of music sales.

I'm not burying my head in the sand when I buy things from the record shop which Amazon doesn't sell. Amazon are pretty useless for vinyl in general, but entirely useless when it comes to 12s, particularly when the labels actively avoid the likes of Amazon.
Amazon isn't the be all and end all of music sales.

In my experience, they or one of the dealers associated with them have always been able to supply the goods. But then I haven't bought any vinyl since 1986. And the last 12" I bought was Patti Smith's Hey Joe/Piss Factory.

Chris

In my experience, they or one of the dealers associated with them have always been able to supply the goods. But then I haven't bought any vinyl since 1986. And the last 12" I bought was Patti Smith's Hey Joe/Piss Factory.

Chris

Entirely depends on what you're buying.

I'm listening to R.A.M on CD right now. Sorry to say this, but it's 5h1t! Not well mastered at all and frankly the same old tat. Rubbish!

If you like this type of thing then go and listen to M83 - Hurry up were dreaming is in a whole different league, as is Saturdays=Youth.

I thought "Giorgio by Moroder" was shaping up nicely as a bombing down the Autobahn at dawn kind of track, but, then someone let a drummer in the studio. God, I wish Morgan Geist would make Metro Area 2.

for anyone who is still considering buying this on vinyl, i got a copy today and its a really nice pressing (old style red columbia label). the artwork is good and a nice full size multipage booklet with lyrics and full artistic credits is included.i'm not sure its that much better than the digital version but on my system the vinyl has got that softer euphonic quality .
(not well mastered? you have got to be joking)

This track which I play nearly every day is more like the old Daft Punk than the old Daft Punk. Homage or pilferage? The prefer former suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do really like Homework and Discovery, so this new one is a bit of a surprise to the system. I've only played it once (and mostly quite quietly) so I'm going to give it a chance. Talking of a surprise to the system, one thing I did notice was the level of that low bass note on Doin' It Right (well, notice it in the sense that I'm now busy puttying in the replacement window glass). I've just moved to this house, so maybe it's a room resonance, but it certainly was a powerful sound (and quite fun, too). :)

So is the vinyl flat, quiet and concentric? If so I'm having one as I rather like the album so far (I've played it a couple of times on Spotify).

the vinyl is as good, flat ,quiet and concentric as i've purchased in recent times. possibly as good as the relatively recent rhino represses of astral weeks/r.l.j-i.e quality. I understand people have doubts about the vocoder but it aint peter frampton. To nail my colours firmly to the mast i think its one of the most engaging pieces of new music that I've bought in a while.

I'm seeing a lot of comments here that I quite don't understand. I guess they must be a product of the "getting too popular to be good" syndrome.

The use of vocoders is a Daft Punk signature. They use them since the first album, If you don't like it, you probably don't like Daft Punk in the first place.

This album is indeed something new. Not just 'more of the same', nor a declining curve in their career.
For the first time, they decided to use live musicians instead of samples, they decided to work with some notorious guests and they decided to work around sounds from late seventies 'disco'.

Everyone is free to dislike it, but there's a clear effort to provide something new and refreshing and IMHO, that goal was perfectly achieved.

Michael

Its not case of being too popular to be good (that to me suggests a certain snobbery) Michael.

Its a simple case of 'Da Funk' or 'Get Lucky' for me...The former is (still) vital, the latter is too bland for my taste- If I want a Nile Rodgers record, I'll stick on 'Risque' or similar (better tunes as well).

All in my humble opinion of course.

Its not case of being too popular to be good (that to me suggests a certain snobbery) Michael.

Its a simple case of 'Da Funk' or 'Get Lucky' for me...The former is (still) vital, the latter is too bland for my taste- If I want a Nile Rodgers record, I'll stick on 'Risque' or similar (better tunes as well).

All in my humble opinion of course.

Yes it does look snobbish and a teenagers thing. That's why I don't agree with the "too popular to be good" thing.

This album is about rythm and dance music. Are the lyrics so important?
What about the times Lucy was in the sky with diamonds and 'life's goes on'?

This would be a nice thread. Are the lyrics so important to enjoy music as an art?
I guess the answer depends on the kind of music we're listen to.
For dance music, smple and easy repetitive lyrics are more successfull I would say.

Michael

This track which I play nearly every day is more like the old Daft Punk than the old Daft Punk. Homage or pilferage? The prefer former suggestion.

I'm rather partial to this & hope to hear "Hanging Gardens" over the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
the vinyl is as good, flat ,quiet and concentric as i've purchased in recent times.

Yup - mine arrived today in the post. Very happy indeed.

I am a fan of the album. Not all tracks are good ('Touch' is a bit average), but some are excellent ('Giorgio by Moroder').

Lefty

advertisement

Back