advertisement

DAC/Headphone Amp Recommendation

Kirk

pfm Member
Thinking of putting together a new headphone system. Headphones: probably be the new Dali 12s or the T+A Solitares. Looking for a DAC/Amp with a USB and/or Ethernet input so I can attach a music server/streamer. Budget £500-£1000. S/H is fine. Any thoughts/recommendations welcomed.

Matrix Audio... the element I that i had was utterly superb as both a DAC and a headphone amp, and i'm still convinced there was no need for me to even have upgraded to anything else. It was painfully close to a DCS rossini to these ears, and if id left the room and came back in, i wouldn't have been able to tell you which one was playing.

Its a classic "good is good enough" level of DAC that gets on with its job.

The new one has a better power supply and doesn't need an external power brick, so I'd recommend the new one, which you may be able to find within your budget I'd think.

Matrix Audio... the element I that i had was utterly superb as both a DAC and a headphone amp, and i'm still convinced there was no need for me to even have upgraded to anything else. It was painfully close to a DCS rossini to these ears, and if id left the room and came back in, i wouldn't have been able to tell you which one was playing.

Its a classic "good is good enough" level of DAC that gets on with its job.

The new one has a better power supply and doesn't need an external power brick, so I'd recommend the new one, which you may be able to find within your budget I'd think.

I had a Matrix - the Mini Pro 3. I liked it. Just looked at the MA website - the 3 is now a 4. Will also take a look at the Element i (though it might be over budget). Thanks for the suggestions.

Naim Dac V1 is an excellent Class A headphone amp.
Never gets a mention as a headphone amp, thought of as
just a DAC. Usb and digital inputs, Preamp output.
Well within your price range, get the youngest one you can.

I agree about the Naim DAV-V1. I had one for a while and it was an excellent piece of kit and I think would fit your needs very well.

Naim Dac V1 is an excellent Class A headphone amp.
Never gets a mention as a headphone amp, thought of as
just a DAC. Usb and digital inputs, Preamp output.
Well within your price range, get the youngest one you can.

Previous owner of an HE. I haven't compared the two units though. Interesting suggestion 👍

Any Topping fans here? They have just released something called a DX9. ASR people are very excited, which generally is a bit of a red flag but I remain open-minded.

advertisement

Back