advertisement

Cricket 2024

400-4 India in reply to England's 218 all out...

Bashir's bowling nicely.

India's turn to go belly up now 430-8

Well there is a silver lining to our rollicking in India:

NZ have just had a blinding day in Christchurch setting Aus 279 to win, & at stumps day 4.. have them 4 down for 77!

Fantastic day- stunning ground (my Port Hills in distance I lived just t'other side of), fab weather, full ground, great batting, bowling, catching from NZ. And that's just watching it curled up in bed other side of the world until 5am.

1993 was last time they won a home Test against Australia.. let alone levelling a series. Go Kiwis!!
(10:00pm start).

Capt

England handed their arse by India. The openers did pretty well but not enough consistency from 3 to 6 especially Bairstow and Stokes. Foakes kept well and the young spinners are very promising. Don’t know where we go from here though.

Head.. gone! Lost his head! Unbelievably just 1 ball after Marsh dropped at point to a sitter.

5 crims down, for 80! Ball zipping off the top, bit of swing. 1/2 cloud 1/2 sun.

Capt

Godammit. That was a nail biter for me, but for those Kiwis.. urgh.

Fact was, Marsh was dropped on 28 (he got 82). A sitter too. They'd most likely have won if that was taken.

Very exciting Test match though see-sawed all the way along. Godmmit!

Godammit. That was a nail biter for me, but for those Kiwis.. urgh.

Fact was, Marsh was dropped on 28 (he got 82). A sitter too. They'd most likely have won if that was taken.

Very exciting Test match though see-sawed all the way along. Godmmit!
Sounds like a terrific test match Captain- glad you keeping tabs on the Ozzies for the rest of us, especially with the Ashes only 20 months away.

Sounds like a terrific test match Captain- glad you keeping tabs on the Ozzies for the rest of us, especially with the Ashes only 20 months away.

Know your enemy etc. Like the heist of Hyderabad, this was the heist of Hagley Park Spraggon. Galling. I'm depressed.

Capt

Interesting, albeit harsh, take on Bazball.

Quite a bodyblow that article, never heard of the print so I don't know if it's not an Aussie journo!

But nevertheles, mostly I agree with that. I had thought this loss could be just what's needed to stem the daftness inherrant in the bazball (batting) shot decisions. Root prime eg ramping to 1st slip. Root. Our most experienced player, our best batsman. But I doubt it. Brainlessness isn't easy to -root- out.. is the thing I fear.

Capt

Well it has to do with 200+ years of occupation, the Koh-i-Noor, and all that. Cricket writing used to be mostly free of colonial baggage, wonder if this article presages a new trend.

Well.......actually .been playing cricket at Lords today! Walking cricket in the indoor cricket centre.
Very competitive round robin competition, organised by MCC. Teams from nearly all of the County teams. I was playing with Holyport CC, representing Berkshire Cricket, against Essex CCC and Sussex CCC as well as others. 3 days of competition as it's so popular.
Quite a red letter day!

Derek Underwood, one of England and Kent's greatest ever bowlers, has died at the age of 78.

Slow left-armer Underwood took 297 wickets in 86 Tests between 1966 and 1982, the most by any England spinner.
He claimed 2,465 wickets in 676 first-class matches overall, representing only Kent, the county of his birth, in a stellar 24-year domestic career.

Very sad to read Derek Underwood (nicknamed Deadly Derek due to his accuracy) has passed. I remember him as a truly great spin bowler, and a big favourite of mine.
RIP Derek

advertisement

Back