advertisement

Cricket 2023

England v New Zealand in play in the first game of th ICC Men's World Cup. Malan's just been caught behind. England 41 - 1.

I'm watching the baseball from last night instead. I haven't heard any choice English idioms creeping in yet, plenty of phrases that are now commonplace in cricket though...

By saying that England are getting pumped just now, is that American or English in phrase? Its a Canadian asking btw, in Scotland ;).
Sounds American to me although when I've just seen the result (not in the uk at the moment) I'd say England got their arse's kicked.

Our batsmen are not scoring quick enough, Malan and Root are not one day players.

Our batsmen are not scoring quick enough, Malan and Root are not one day players.
England lost three matches on their way to the 2019 title. Malan is in the top 20 of batting stats for this format. Root not far behind.

Bit early to be being pessimistic.

England will get to the semi's. Then it's a free for all.

Malan is our highest rated ODI batsman.
How far back do these ratings go?

England lost three matches on their way to the 2019 title. Malan is in the top 20 of batting stats for this format. Root not far behind.

Bit early to be being pessimistic.

England will get to the semi's. Then it's a free for all.
I am hoping we can improve on that first performance, although at the moment I am not going to change my mind regarding Malan and Root, who I both feel let the bowlers get on top of them in one day games.

Root's job in ODI is to anchor the innings and turn over the strike regularly. They'll need his class when they get turning wickets for sure.

advertisement

Back