advertisement

Crank it up???

You say it’s a large room. I presume those values are at the listening position, what would they be at 1m?

I’m unclear whether you’re sitting at the back wall. If you are, I’d try to get away from it.
I had posted these in a recent thread. When I measured one years ago it was from a listening position about 1/3 of the way back from the speakers. But there are a few rooms that run together so it end up being a big space. And it' open on one side (with teh domestic limitations of where speaker placement is acceptable).

A good system should sound so within its capabilities. I can listen to my ATCs at modest levels & really enjoy them, the temptation to up the volume is there just because you can. A bit like driving a fast car.

My phone tells me I'm currently listening at ~70dB which is quite loud for me (I have the flat to myself today).

100dB is x4 perceived volume of 70dB. it's astonishingly loud - rock gig loud, ear plugs time.
I've a few 4 x 12" guitar cabinets in my my 5m x 5m room plus a couple of 2 x 12"s.
Playing the guitar at 100dB is the norm for me as that when cabinets start to sound decent.

I had posted these in a recent thread. When I measured one years ago it was from a listening position about 1/3 of the way back from the speakers. But there are a few rooms that run together so it end up being a big space. And it' open on one side (with teh domestic limitations of where speaker placement is acceptable).

The pictures help explain the situation a lot. It's a very big space and your listening position is not idea, from what I can see I think that's the case anyway, so the punchy but less refined sound of the CD player is going to work. Naim players also tend to have sightly heavier bass than other CD players which will help.

By contrast your turntable is going to sound bass light and soft. In a different room it should sound better than the CD player but your circumstances are unusual. For your situation, I think the Hana was a poor recommendation. Something like the Exact or even an Audio Technica MM would be better but I actually think a different turntable would suit you. A Technics G-series has a more powerful, robust sound which will match the CD player better.

Overall I just think the whole system is a bit of a mismatch for your room. The CD player isn't even very great but its bold character is making up for things elsewhere which the turntable isn't. I think you might struggle to get any turntable to do what you want in that system when in truth a decent turntable should wipe the floor with a CD5.

The pictures help explain the situation a lot. It's a very big space and your listening position is not idea, from what I can see I think that's the case anyway, so the punchy but less refined sound of the CD player is going to work. Naim players also tend to have sightly heavier bass than other CD players which will help.

By contrast your turntable is going to sound bass light and soft. In a different room it should sound better than the CD player but your circumstances are unusual. For your situation, I think the Hana was a poor recommendation. Something like the Exact or even an Audio Technica MM would be better but I actually think a different turntable would suit you. A Technics G-series has a more powerful, robust sound which will match the CD player better.

Overall I just think the whole system is a bit of a mismatch for your room. The CD player isn't even very great but its bold character is making up for things elsewhere which the turntable isn't. I think you might struggle to get any turntable to do what you want in that system when in truth a decent turntable should wipe the floor with a CD5.
Thanks for this- very thoughtful . When I really worked at it years ago I eventually had things set up so they sounded great from a decent position. I even had some large active ATCs on home dem once- which did the trick but were not socially acceptable. But it was always a challenging room and with kids growing up (now gone) I ended up listening mostly to small system in kitchen (that is also too large) which was Squeezebox+/Benchmark/NAD C350/Wharfedale Diamonds. That actually sounded very good and now it's Sonos in the kitchen or mountain house which also sound way better than they should.

I could swap it out for the P3/Exact or Technics I heard, but I liked the P3/hana el better head to head, albeit not at home.

I will try to just go back to my original goal to look for vinyl for fun and leave it be. But I just don't like it sounding worse than the CDP or streaming.

I could swap it out for the P3/Exact or Technics I heard, but I liked the P3/hana el better head to head, albeit not at home.
There's little point in listening to things is a dealer's dem room. You want to get stuff home as it's going to sound very different in your home. A good dealer should be able to sort out home trials for you.

advertisement

Back