advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scotland has never been fully integrated with England after the Treaty of Union, retaining its separate religious, educational and legal systems.

Since the re-establishment of the Scottish Parliament in 1999, increasing areas of responsibility have been devolved to the Scottish Government, including the NHS and public health, whether you like it or not - you're continued, and frankly pathetic, attempts to diminish the Scottish Government, by likening it to little more than a council, does not change the facts.

England voted for the Tories currently in power at Westminster, Scotland did not.

London didn’t vote for Boris either. Maybe they should separate. Where does it end. As I’ve said, I wish Sturgeon well and of course hope she makes the right decisions for Scotland in navigating this crisis.

If you were right about that then you'd also be right about this

Can I ask you: what conditions do would you like to see met before the lock-down can be, in your opinion, justifiably eased?

280 odd people died from covid yesterday. That figure is still not low enough for people to return to work imo. Hospitals around the country are still treating many covid patients. As more people go back to work more will require hospital treatment for accidents and illness etc. The NHS doesn't need that extra burden just yet. I wouldn't want to go to hospital right now anyway! As regards the workplace, social distancing just doesn't work in many industries. It's often impossible not to have some contact with others. If there's another spike I would imagine the cost to our economy would be far greater than another two weeks of lockdown.

London didn’t vote for Boris either. Maybe they should separate. Where does it end. As I’ve said, I wish Sturgeon well and of course hope she makes the right decisions for Scotland in navigating this crisis.

Scotland is a country, London is not.

We can at least agree on the last part of your post.

Of course, but there has to be a consistent policy UK wide. I live in Wales but am a million miles away from someone living in a flat in the middle of Cardiff. In the same way you are from someone living in Edinburgh. We have a different risk profile based on the environment in which we live, whether that’s in England, NI, Scotland or Wales is irrelevant. Should individual councils set the rules accordingly? Of course not. Boris was very recently elected UK PM with a thumping majority. He makes the rules, like it or not.
Apparently not, since three out of four countries are according him exactly as much notice as he warrants.

I’m now actually of the view that I wish Sturgeon well in her mission. I admire her conviction and hope she succeeds (once the share of the exploding UK national debt has been repaid of course).

I don’t really have a view on Foster but as for Drakeford making a decision, you might as well ask the cat.
Yet Drakeford still exceeds the johnson in lockdown sense.

It does not appear Johnson even carries the public of his native country with him on managing this crisis. They are understandably as confused as the rest of us by his announcement. You also like to reference ‘power’ and money too in this discussion. In the UK we have a principle of government by consent, or at least we used to. Its not about who is strongest and wealthiest- we got rid of feudal society a long time ago. It is Johnson who is out of step with the leaders of three of the four parts that make up the UK and the exercise of power as you like to put it doesn’t mean agreement. Let’s see what the week brings- but I don’t think it’ll be consent.

I am not sure my folks are following the rules but they have been given permission from his care home. I think there will be some further clarity today?

TBH I don’t think it is within the rules, but then from what it seems Raab has been saying in interviews, perhaps it is. Like you say, hopefully there’ll be more clarity later. Either way, I hope they get to see him safely soon.

Aren't French police renowned for having a 'robust' approach ? Especially if you are not French.
I don't think they discriminate, they are like that to everyone. School teachers are like that to the kids too. It must start there.

For the past several weeks, you could have done the whole thing online. No need for any printer.
Or use an erasable pen.
Too much defending the indefensible. What if online is not possible? What if I don't have an erasable pen? What if they just did what they were doing without the stupid photocopied papers?

Yet Drakeford still exceeds the johnson in lockdown sense.
I’m just thinking- the papers that punted Magic Monday in coordination with Downing St a week ago are going to have to protect the Tory Party/save Boris in the best way they know. The hose will need to be turned on the leaders of the devolved nations. If you cant make him look clean, spray some of his slurry on the others

Scotland is a country, London is not.

We can at least agree on the last part of your post.
Not sure it matters: all governing bodies and civil institutions should be using whatever levers they can pull to protect people. That might well mean London taking some things into its own hands. Whatever it can, basically.

Too much defending the indefensible. What if online is not possible? What if I don't have an erasable pen? What if they just did what they were doing without the stupid photocopied papers?
I thought a handwritten copy was acceptable.

I’m just thinking- the papers that punted Magic Monday in coordination with Downing St a week ago are going to have to protect the Tory Party/save Boris in the best way they know. The hose will need to be turned on the leaders of the devolved nations. If you cant make him look clean, spray some of his slurry on the others

Mail online (sorry) headlines this morning...

Boris Johnson's big lockdown speech descends into farce...

...PM's 14-day quarantine plan for travellers entering UK falls to pieces...

Spray slurry
Protect Boris
Save the Tories

Catchy...

It is.
Richardg, I don't know if you watch the news on French TV, but if over the last six weeks or so you've been watching, say, the 20h de France 2, you'd have had all the information you needed to get started. I think they've been very clear.

I will be very surprised if Boris will survive after this claims down a new leadership battle will happen. I'm guessing at some point the science advice papers will be leaked opening a tin of worms.

I think the argument is the concept of the form is bollocks, not the format.

Anyway, would you fancy handwriting it every time you went out, just because you can't cross the date out and put in a new one? The title and subtitle on its own is 38 words.

ATTESTATION DE DÉPLACEMENT DÉROGATOIRE
En application de l’article 3 du décret du 23 mars 2020 prescrivant les mesures générales nécessaires pour faire face à l’épidémie de Covid19 dans le cadre de l’état d’urgence sanitaire​

280 odd people died from covid yesterday. That figure is still not low enough for people to return to work imo. Hospitals around the country are still treating many covid patients. As more people go back to work more will require hospital treatment for accidents and illness etc. The NHS doesn't need that extra burden just yet. I wouldn't want to go to hospital right now anyway! As regards the workplace, social distancing just doesn't work in many industries. It's often impossible not to have some contact with others. If there's another spike I would imagine the cost to our economy would be far greater than another two weeks of lockdown.

Yes I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back