advertisement

Convincing a PC to sleep

garyi

leave blank
Guys, I hit the little button next to shutdown and sleep. It goes to sleep.

Around 1 minute later it wakes up.

I observe this on 3 PCs. Is there something I can do to convince it to stay asleep?

Use it to post on a cable thread. It won't work immediately but within half an hour it will have said "Oh FFS F*** OFF!" shut down and stomped off shaking its head.

Well its set to go to sleep after half an hour. One presumes it should stay that way until I wake it. I'll check the power options but cannot conceive of a reason it would be set to wake up after 1 minute.

Use it to post on a cable thread. It won't work immediately but within half an hour it will have said "Oh FFS F*** OFF!" shut down and stomped off shaking its head.

Brilliant,
but do you know of a way to clean coffee from monitor and key board.
oldie:D

Well its set to go to sleep after half an hour. One presumes it should stay that way until I wake it. I'll check the power options but cannot conceive of a reason it would be set to wake up after 1 minute.

Wake-on-LAN?

Guys, I hit the little button next to shutdown and sleep. It goes to sleep.

Around 1 minute later it wakes up.

I observe this on 3 PCs. Is there something I can do to convince it to stay asleep?

Have you considered a night light in the room, maybe a music box with lullaby chimes, scented candle?

Assuming the tips above do not solve the issue, it is possible to see what causes a PC to wake up, provided one uses a modern OS (Win7 or newer):

Soon after it has woken up, run a 'Command Prompt' with administrator privileges (type Win+X, A from Win8) and then type "powercfg -lastwake". This will identify what event caused the last 'Wake'.

There may be an easy way to fix the issue (driver configuration, etc.). Alternatively there are some switches which can be used with the powercfg command to cause Windows to ignore some requests to wake up (Google for details)

advertisement

Back