advertisement

Considering going back to Stereo for movies

Yup, its a pre. I`m using a Myryad 5150 with it and currently experimenting bi-amping my fronts along with my naim 150x.

The MXD4000 is a pre-amp - right?
So what power amp do you use for surround sound? Or do you use active speakers?

My experiemce is that 5.1 is better in movies.

The cost effective way to do it is with a mediacentre PC with decent onboard audio or a good soundcard (note this a desktop not a lappy).

The same PC can be your primary digital audio source/nas server

when my old cambrigde v500 processor died the pc took over and the processor wasn't really missed.

2 channel sound via the tv's toslink cable and the benchmark dac by comparison is very mediocre.

PC is the way to go with dvd/blu ray IMHO. It adapts to standards improvement without the need to purchase megabucks new equipment. Just update the software and aceept the old hardware maybe isn't giving you quite the "full" benefit of 7.2 channels of 192/24 digital audio.

The only drawback is that if you have sky movies there isn't any way to hook it up to the PC (so I don't)

I am also thinking of ditching the surround system and reinvesting the money in new kit , like most people I do not use the surround system as much as we thought we would and the money is best spent on 2 channel whish is used every day

If you have a hybrid stereo/surround system, the only way stereo could sound "better" (as in clearer, more immersive, etc) with movies is either due to a massively imbalanced system (great stereo system with some Richer clearance specials tacked on for surround), or an incorrectly set up system (wrong decoding etc).

I've a legacy (ie cheap now but expensive five years ago) AV setup added to my hifi (denon 3800BD -> mch analog out -> Lexicon MC1 -> nap 175 -> B&W CM1/C) and the difference between stereo and this is like iPod speakers and a decent hifi. Having a projector (and therefore wider stage) could be a factor though - with a regular TV the sound immersion might be out of proportion).

I like the immersive effect of surround - I've had experiences where Prologic surround off a rental video was more engaging than stereo dts of LaserDisc.

I've always built my surround system on my hifi, so processor LR out into stereo (pre) amp. I've also always been without a centre channel, though after hearing an early Naim 4.0 system with DBLs as L&R I know this isn't necessarily a drawback.

One key thing is setup. I recall going to a huge consumer electronics show in the early 90s and Dr. Tony Grimani of THX saying speakers aren't placed in a room, they are coupled to the room. In my experience surround placement can be just as important as stereo speaker placement (toeing in etc.).

advertisement

Back