advertisement

Consensus for SuperNait 2?

topk

pfm Member
I currently have a Rega Brio-R and I just purchased a Naim XS2 to replace it. Rest of equipment is Rega Dac and Dynaudio Contour S 1.4 LE speakers (obviously, the Brio is way underpowered).

But the truth is: I was and still am torn regarding the SuperNait 2. I have read many opinions, and common "criticisms" include:
- not as warm as XS2, particularly in the midrange
- overly detailed
- overly analytical, cold sounding, bright
- speaks to the brain (not to the heart)
- not as immediately engaging that lower models in the range
- does not sound as good as XS2 at low volumes
...etc.

On the other hand, commonly cited qualities include authority, weight and bass control/definition.

I am wondering if there is now a consensus on the *musical/emotional* quality of the SN2. For example, the SN1 had quite a lot of detractors and it seems that the consensus is that the SN1 was good overall but definitely not one of Naim's best.... What is the consensus on the SN2?

I would say the Dynaudio Contour S 1.4 LE need a full bodied, warm in the midrange, sweet in the treble and powerful amp which can give a lot of current/control. Open to non-Naim integrated amp suggestions as well (Elicit-R?).

The Supernait 2 is an excellent amplifier despite IMO old DIN connectors are a total nonsense and do not improve sound as claimed .

For example, the SN1 had quite a lot of detractors and it seems that the consensus is that the SN1 was good overall but definitely not one of Naim's best.... What is the consensus on the SN2?

I dont think you will find consensus about anything hi-fi related.

I own the SN1 which I moved to from a previous Naim system comprising 82/HC/250 into SBLs and I prefer the SN1, fed from a good source it sounds superb.

My next move will be a Teddy Pardo integrated. Naim make some nice kit but you can get a lot more value elsewhere in my opinion. I would have a good look around before committing to a SN2.

I dont think you will fond consensus about anything hi-fi related.

I own the SN1 which I moved to from a previous Naim system comprising 82/HC/250 into SBLs and I prefer the SN1, fed from a good source it sounds superb.

My next move will be a Teddy Pardo integrated. Naim make some nice kit but you can get a lot more value elsewhere in my opinion. I would have a good look around before committing to a SN2.

Has the Teddy Pardo integrated amplifier ever been reviewed in a mainstream UK audio magazine ?

Khoi,

I have been frankly surprised by the list of criticisms to the SN2, not because it is above criticism, but for the specific points: I have heard the SN2 a number of times and, to my ears, it is more smooth than the SN1, is not overly analytical or bright at all, on the contrary it's more enjoyable and 'civilised' than most 'old school' Naim amps.

If you want a powerful, authoritative amp with detail and a spacious rendering of ambiences, the SN2 is a good choice. On the other hand, if you feel that a SN2 could be too 'analytical' for your taste, Naim is not for you perhaps.. I have a SN1 and find that the 2 is a little mellow for my taste. Naim is not mandatory, it's not the only audio brand in the world; it is, instead, good for a certain 'taste' in sound, but one shouldn't go for that taste perforce.

Best
Max

Max has summed things up nicely.

I owned the SN1 and currently own the SN2 and yes, I find the latter to be slightly mellower (warmer). This could be due to the emphasis on getting an "analogue'' sound, which led to the omission of the DAC that was fitted in the SN1.

Personally, I have no regrets switching to the SN2 as the sound suits me better.

I owned the new XS2 (70wpc version) for one year before upgrading to the SN2. No regrets. Difference was night-and-day, especially with regards to bass quality and control and depth/insight due to the DR circuit. Overall I much prefer the SN2 sound and there is nothing about the XS2 I miss. Frankly, all of your criticisms are new to me. In fact, I disagree with each and every one of them except for second point (overly detailed) as the SN2 does offer more insight but it's not fatiguing at all.

I bought the XS2 wanting it to be 90% the SN2 for half the price but really it is its own animal and it's no where near 90% the SN2. As someone who "researched the heck" out of the NAIM IA offerings and who keeps his eyes on the topic still, I frankly rarely read anything positive about the XS2. All of the raves seem to be about the 5si and the SN2. The 5si, from every source I've read, is a cracking little product. In hindsight, I suppose I would have skipped the XS2 entirely and went straight to the SN2. Luckily I worked with a dealer who applied full value of my XS2 after one year towards the purchase of an SN2, so it worked out.

My SN2 powers a pair of power-hungry Dynaudio Focus 260 speakers. A lovely combo!

I currently have a Rega Brio-R and I just purchased a Naim XS2 to replace it. Rest of equipment is Rega Dac and Dynaudio Contour S 1.4 LE speakers (obviously, the Brio is way underpowered).

But the truth is: I was and still am torn regarding the SuperNait 2. I have read many opinions, and common "criticisms" include:
- not as warm as XS2, particularly in the midrange
- overly detailed
- overly analytical, cold sounding, bright
- speaks to the brain (not to the heart)
- not as immediately engaging that lower models in the range
- does not sound as good as XS2 at low volumes
...etc.

On the other hand, commonly cited qualities include authority, weight and bass control/definition.

I am wondering if there is now a consensus on the *musical/emotional* quality of the SN2. For example, the SN1 had quite a lot of detractors and it seems that the consensus is that the SN1 was good overall but definitely not one of Naim's best.... What is the consensus on the SN2?

I would say the Dynaudio Contour S 1.4 LE need a full bodied, warm in the midrange, sweet in the treble and powerful amp which can give a lot of current/control. Open to non-Naim integrated amp suggestions as well (Elicit-R?).

As a fellow Dynaudio owner who closely auditioned Focus 160 vs. Contour S1.4 vs. Confidence C1 II, I agree with your assessment of the Contours. Very much so.

I know a lot of people who enjoy the Dynaudio + NAIM combo.

In addition to NAIM, I have also auditioned Dynaudio with an Accuphase IA and loved the pairing. The opposite was true of my audition with a Simaudio IA. Did not like that at all. I can also add that Dynaudio uses a lot of NAD and Hegel products in their in-house auditioning and listening room. (You can browse some internal pics via the Dynaudio Facebook page.) Hegel has a stellar reputation.

I find the Supernait 1 nowhere near my current 202/NAPSC/200.
I doubt the second release will approach the separates goodness.
Notwithstanding the Supernait is a very good integrated and much better that XS either 1 or 2. A totally different league I'd say.

I currently have a Rega Brio-R and I just purchased a Naim XS2 to replace it. Rest of equipment is Rega Dac and Dynaudio Contour S 1.4 LE speakers

Ultimately the only opinion that counts is your own, and as you've already purchased the XS2 why not decide for yourself, unless I'm missing something here? By all accounts it's a great amplifier (I think it looks great too) :)

Has the Teddy Pardo integrated amplifier ever been reviewed in a mainstream UK audio magazine ?

I don't think Teddy pays for advertising so I doubt it.

Personally I moved away from Naim partly because I wanted a powerful amplifier. Mind you I have only had the Olive and CB range so can't comment on the modern stuff and I won't pay 500 money for those specs.

If I was looking for an integrated today it would include Plinius and Teddy Pardo.

Ultimately the only opinion that counts is your own, and as you've already purchased the XS2 why not decide for yourself, unless I'm missing something here? By all accounts it's a great amplifier (I think it looks great too) :)

Of course, I will start to check out the XS2 then if I feel it's not enough then I was thinking if it was worth going SN2. Seems it should definitely be on the short list.

I used to own 72/Hicap/140 before I move to a small Rega setup. I did love the Rega, very warm and musical.

I didn't research Plinius yet so will have a look as well.

I was even thinking about a used McIntosh in the $4k range...

I owned the new XS2 (70wpc version) for one year before upgrading to the SN2. No regrets. Difference was night-and-day, especially with regards to bass quality and control and depth/insight due to the DR circuit. Overall I much prefer the SN2 sound and there is nothing about the XS2 I miss. Frankly, all of your criticisms are new to me. In fact, I disagree with each and every one of them except for second point (overly detailed) as the SN2 does offer more insight but it's not fatiguing at all.

I bought the XS2 wanting it to be 90% the SN2 for half the price but really it is its own animal and it's no where near 90% the SN2. As someone who "researched the heck" out of the NAIM IA offerings and who keeps his eyes on the topic still, I frankly rarely read anything positive about the XS2. All of the raves seem to be about the 5si and the SN2. The 5si, from every source I've read, is a cracking little product. In hindsight, I suppose I would have skipped the XS2 entirely and went straight to the SN2. Luckily I worked with a dealer who applied full value of my XS2 after one year towards the purchase of an SN2, so it worked out.

My SN2 powers a pair of power-hungry Dynaudio Focus 260 speakers. A lovely combo!

I suspect the Dynaudio 160/260 must have a similar tonal balance than 1.4LE i.e. "New" Dynaudio sound, which is more neutral, clear and transparent than prior models.

Are you happy with the 260/SN2 combo? Is that enough grunt and do they compliment each other well (particularly warmth/tonal balance/timbre)?

As a fellow Dynaudio owner who closely auditioned Focus 160 vs. Contour S1.4 vs. Confidence C1 II, I agree with your assessment of the Contours. Very much so.

I know a lot of people who enjoy the Dynaudio + NAIM combo.

In addition to NAIM, I have also auditioned Dynaudio with an Accuphase IA and loved the pairing. The opposite was true of my audition with a Simaudio IA. Did not like that at all. I can also add that Dynaudio uses a lot of NAD and Hegel products in their in-house auditioning and listening room. (You can browse some internal pics via the Dynaudio Facebook page.) Hegel has a stellar reputation.

I heard a lot of good things about accuphase. How would you describe the sound signature and marriage/synergy with Dynaudio?

Thanks for the FB tip, will check it out.

I owned an XS1.5 (the 2011 version with the alu front) for a couple of years and was delighted with it. This was in a small room, though, with easy speakers (Regas). Moving house recently, I had a much bigger room, and was planning a speaker upgrade.

I hummed and hah-ed for a while about amp choice, thinking about Hegel and other alternatives, but eventually sprang for a new SN2 based on a pretty good dealer dem (and, to be honest, my use of Naim amps for over 20 years...)

There are actually little things I miss about the XS - a slightly steely quality and sense of speed about that amp, but overall I couldn't be happier with the SN2. Into Harbeth C7s, 'cold' is not the word I'd use for it. The differences compared to an XS are much more of a sense of believable space, a more relaxed sound, and bigger dynamics. the whole package drives the room very effectively and seems very synergistic to me - I've seen other comments about C7/SN2 synergy.

I have had the XS, SN1 and SN2. To my ears, the SN2 is heads and shoulders above the other two in every way.

advertisement

Back