advertisement

Connect sub to Rega Brio-r

kevinrt

pfm Member
Hi does anyone have any experience of connecting a sub-woofer to a Rega Brio-r?

The sub only has low level RCA inputs and the Rega only has standard speaker outputs.

regards

Kevin

You can use the record out on the Brio to connect to the sub but the volume on the sub won't change with the volume on the amp.

It would work though and you can pick a happy medium then push the volume up on the sub itself as needed.

You need an amp with a preamp output (i.e. post volume control) or a sub with a high level input. I’m afraid the combination you have now isn’t going to work.

Thanks. I suspected that was the case but wondered if there was a work-around.

regards

Kevin

I have a Croft pre with a pair of ‘line out’ RCAs. Would they be ’post volume control’?

I suspect not, and it may be similar to ‘record out’.

Is there a way to ‘split’ the ‘pre-out’ on this amp to feed both power amp and sub?

Kevin

You need a pre out, not a line out, although the terms sometimes get muddled. The point is that it needs to be post volume control, just like the main output you would use from preamp to power amp.

You need a pre out, not a line out, although the terms sometimes get muddled. The point is that it needs to be post volume control, just like the main output you would use from preamp to power amp.

Can a single pair of pre-out RCAs be connected to both a power amp and a sub?

Kevin

I’m not sure whether the output would be able to drive two cables simultaneously to be honest. Normally you could ask the manufacturer of course, but as Croft are no longer trading you can’t ask them. Maybe someone here has some experience of this.

Thanks. I suspected that was the case but wondered if there was a work-around.

regards

Kevin

If the brio has more than one set of speaker outputs you could attach via the high level inputs on certain makes of subs. I know BK subs all have them, and the sub usually comes with a high level lead and instructions for wiring it up. I've personally not gone down this route with my XXLS400 as I have a sub out on my preamp, but it could work for you. By all accounts it's a solidly reliable connection!

I bought a speaker splitter. As my subwoofer (a Mirage MM-8) only has an RCA input, I also bought a couple of speaker wire to RCA converter. I then connected my speaker wires to the input jacks on the back of the splitter, my main speakers to one of the output jacks and the subwoofer wires to the other output jack. Works like a charm.

advertisement

Back