advertisement

Confused about Tannoy

chatting to the Tannoy rep he did intimate some were made in UK .
It's smoke and mirrors. They're all doing it. If the product is wholly made in China you have to say so but if you do any work at all here you can say it's made in the UK. So buy the cabinets in Poland, everything else in China and put it together in Slough and it's made in the UK. As far as I'm aware you can say made in the UK if you do any work at all, so maybe little more than putting a badge on.

The Tannoy factory in Coatbridge is long closed, I've passed it many times. The building Tannoy UK are in is not a manufacturing site. You can Google street view it and it's clearly nothing more than distribution.

But to be honest, who cares where they are made? Apple stuff is all made in China. Just last week I had to saw the headstock of a cheap Chinese guitar and the quality of the hardwood is as good as anything I've ever seen. My main complaint is that the people making the decisions and designing the speakers are not the passionate individuals of old. They're just pen pushers looking to make as much money as possible off the back of a famous name. Not interested.

What secrecy, about what?

99% of people buy by brand name 99% of the time and that is what it is all about.

How many people know that Anchor butter has been made by Arla in the UK for what, 10 years, longer, 20? Tastes totally different to NZ Anchor, but the brand still means that it sells.
Anchor don't claim their butter is made in New Zealand.

Anchor don't claim their butter is made in New Zealand.

And Tannoy do not claim to be made in the UK. But endless people still think that Anchor butter is the same as ever it was, and still buy it because of that alone.

Apart from primary products, like butter, probably nothing is totally made in the UK anymore. Even then, odds are the Anchor wrapper is totally or partly imported.
All cars in the UK have have parts sourced from all over the world, in fact that applies to all motorised vehicles assembled in the UK, from Minis to JCBs.

But then the UK makes components that are shipped abroad to be part of someone else's finished kit.

You seem to have been, or still are, living down a mine-shaft, oblivious to what has been going on in the UK since long before I started work in 1977.
I'll come back to my question - "What secrecy, about what?"

I think when you need to put security tags on butter your society's fecked....

They do it to anything that walks and that is anything worth at least a modest amount and can be hidden easily.
Tesco had security tags on salamis 5? 10? years ago.

When the local Tesco had a fresh meat counter, they lost several £1000's-worth each week, so all was sold in security tagged boxes that had to be opened on the checkout.

And Tannoy do not claim to be made in the UK. But endless people still think that Anchor butter is the same as ever it was, and still buy it because of that alone.

Apart from primary products, like butter, probably nothing is totally made in the UK anymore. Even then, odds are the Anchor wrapper is totally or partly imported.
All cars in the UK have have parts sourced from all over the world, in fact that applies to all motorised vehicles assembled in the UK, from Minis to JCBs.

But then the UK makes components that are shipped abroad to be part of someone else's finished kit.

You seem to have been, or still are, living down a mine-shaft, oblivious to what has been going on in the UK since long before I started work in 1977.
I'll come back to my question - "What secrecy, about what?"
Symphony Distribution say some models are built in the UK. If they are fitting drive units made in China to cabinets made in Poland I have no issue with that but that would then mean these models are assembled in the UK. Nothing to do with mine shafts, JCB's, Mini's or Anchor Butter. Hope that is clear.
The title of the thread is Confused about Tannoy.

Tannoy Largest dealer recently Swapped to Fyne

I love watching his videos. He is an old-school passionate about this industry.

I'm not sure I agree with him regarding the Sterling III LZs, or What Hi*fi, for that matter.

That said, I have Kensington GRs, built at Coatbridge using drivers manufactured there. They are proving difficult to reinsure...

chatting to the Tannoy rep he did intimate some were made in UK . maybe someone can pin him down at audio delux later this month if he is there

i doubt any of them are made in the uk...

Not a fan of reps and salesman,dealt with many during my years working at a hifi shop...

Foreign labour is a lot cheaper,my guess is europe...

Clearly Music Group recognise the value of the 'Made in the UK' while flogging a household name, it's just a shame they aren't. They've owned the Tannoy brand for a while now with nothing new appearing in terms of design or innovation just a mix and match of previous ranges repackaged and trading on historical reputation. If you want a modern 'Tannoy' buy Fyne.

love the look of these from tannoy , guess they replace the eatons .

super gold monitor by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr
From what I can see on the Tannoy web site the SGM series is being sold in parallel with the legacy series. They seem to pitch them as a replica of the old studio monitors, which from what I have read are perhaps not the best choice for home use. Cooky can probably elaborate on the sound characteristics of the old SGMs.

From what I can see on the Tannoy web site the SGM series is being sold in parallel with the legacy series. They seem to pitch them as a replica of the old studio monitors, which from what I have read are perhaps not the best choice for home use. Cooky can probably elaborate on the sound characteristics of the old SGMs.
Mash ups, the original SGMs used k series pepperpots, the new SGMs are more like the System DMT range of monitors but with inferior cabinets( the System DMT boxes haven't been bettered imho).I reckon they should sound good.

Anchor butter made in foreign lands? What heresy. First I heard of it.😕
Oh well, I guess I'll get over it. My Fonterra shares have served me well after all.
At least we make our own Marmite 😜.

This is a discussion that will never end. Tannoys are expensive, bulky and sound beautiful. The problem is that Tannoy owners tend to be the nerdy end of speaker ownership. I do not say this as a criticism but they are the sort of people who will spend weeks moving the speakers half an inch one way or another in order to get the best sound. Their arm chair is also perfectly positioned with the perfect rug placed on the floor with the tassels groomed in perfectly straight lines etc. They experiment whether it should be 12" or 15" etc in their quest for sound nirvana.

You also have the problem of Coatbridge or foreign made and what percentage degree of each is it. The argument is as much based on anecdote as it is on fact. Now we have the added complexity of Fyne run by ex Tannoy managers and it's causing a bit of a tizz and the nerds are running around like headless chickens arguing about it.

The simple answer is to listen to the things playing music and just compare the sound but then you get the problem of subjectivity which will never go away.

Until audiophiles learn the ability to come to a decision on what is the overall best system for their ears, they will forever remain unhappy.

Anchor butter made in foreign lands? What heresy. First I heard of it.😕
Oh well, I guess I'll get over it. My Fonterra shares have served me well after all.
At least we make our own Marmite 😜.
News to me too, and I used to work for MD Foods, who became one half of Arla and have manufactured Lurpak for decades. Westbury was a St Ivel butter site iirc in the 90s and Arla now own many of their sites. I didn't know that they had bought the Anchor brand, which was always NZ. Changed in 2012, I read. It does make sense, Arla's core business in butter is Danish and cultured whereas UK butter is traditionally sweet cream and I'm fairly sure that that was the case at Westbury.

News to me too,

When I was a kid, we had marge' (Summer County). Eating with friends or wherever when 10 or so, I could not make out what tasted so different/nice on bread, especially with soup.
I had discovered butter, and then Anchor butter.
I bought nothing but Anchor butter once I left home, but (now, obviously in 2012), the taste changed enormously. Nothing that I have ever tatsted, tastes like NZ Anchor butter. I buy own-brand now, differences are not worth mentioning amongst butters.

A friend who was brought up in Malawi assures me that Asian people from all over what was the Empire, preferentially bought Anchor, to make ghee.

I don't recall seeing Anchor (cheddar) cheese (New Cheeseland Zeal as the advert' said), for ages, so maybe Arla didn't take that on in the UK???

As for NZ Marmite - Wiki tells me that it doesn't use the same recipe as UK Marmite, and a description of the taste reminds me of Vegemite, which is pretty bland to my taste, compared to Marmite. I have never seen NZ-Mite in the UK, so have never tried it.

Tannoy Largest dealer recently Swapped to Fyne

Tannoy's largest dealer? - looks pretty average 🤣
I find it very interesting though that he was one of the people proclaiming the Stirling III LZ SE last year when it appeared at shows and now he's switched to Fyne!! Also the unbelievable WTFi 3* review. They must have been listening and looking at a totally different one to me! The finish was definitely 5* apart from the covers which were flimsy and incompatible with the £12k price tag. The main gripe with the review was the sound - no way is it 3*! The pair I heard had superb imaging and no congestion whatsoever. In fact for a magazine that thinks everything ATC is a flawless 5* it's an amazing conclusion as the only negative I would say is that they achieved the imaging by boosting the 'energy' just like an ATC. So this means your Stones/Bowie/Metallica albums are a hard listen, while Winterpills and other good stuff are beautifully rendered. I wonder what Tannoy will do as a review like this in the UK will shoot down the III LZ SE in flames and maybe it's down to very poor quality control in China! Anyway next stop is get a listen to some Fyne stuff 😉

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom