advertisement

Compact power amplifier advice

I'm currently using a Chord TToby (fed by a Music First passive) for a few months. It's a really nice little amplifier and the sound quality belies its diminutive proportions. However during lengthy listening sessions I sometimes find the sound a little sterile (may just be my old ears!) so was wondering if anyone could advise of other power amplifiers I ought to consider?
Thanks in advance.

You don't mention the speakers, the sensitivity and impedance response should be a factor when choosing an amp.

and hopefully ian wont mind me posting this but i wonder if the boxem would be any better than the chord ??? maybe ian could comment

I’m happy to recommend the Boxem. It’s the only Class D amplifier i’ve had in my system that I actually enjoyed listening to for any extended period. It’s accurate without being sterile/boring.

I purchased mine from Keith at Purite. He should have a loan unit that you could try at home.

Aurex SC-M15. Not sterile-sounding at all.
I have two of those! (Toshiba branded, which are identical). They are nice. Not much power, tho (45wpc). I prefer the hard-to-find Peachtree Sona amp, which is also very small. Plenty of power (150 wpc). Very good sounding Class D, if you can believe that! I have two of those too!

Classic suggestion - Quad 306.
Compact, the fourth and finest iteration of Quads Current-dumping design power amps; also, really-even-handed - and it has a certain moxie to its delivery. My vote for a 'near-perfect 50w linear amp in a compact package.'

You can find a really good one for £250, and service it yourself easily - there is nothing to adjust!
At that price - worth a try, surely.

In general, it seems harder to find a good compact preamp than power amp. The little Toshiba/Aurex preamps were very nice, but preamps don’t age as well as power amps do and two of those have died on me. In addition, apparently lots of people get by without any preamp at all these days, so there are just fewer of them around. I still haven’t found a reasonably priced, very good compact preamp for the bedroom, where the Sona amp fits the bill perfectly.

In general, it seems harder to find a good compact preamp than power amp. The little Toshiba/Aurex preamps were very nice, but preamps don’t age as well as power amps do and two of those have died on me. In addition, apparently lots of people get by without any preamp at all these days, so there are just fewer of them around. I still haven’t found a reasonably priced, very good compact preamp for the bedroom, where the Sona amp fits the bill perfectly.
Exposure XM7? I haven't tried it but I had been considering it for a while.

brill , had all of them pre 3 , pre 3 vbs x 2 , pre 5 ,and eix pre . The pre 5 is great .one pre 3 vbs i got a sean jacobs dc3 upgrade .john stronzer is very talented

You might like to try the c5i as a pre amp in your bedroom .on ebay at 795 and make a super pre amp.although i doubt they would send to Hawaii !!

brill , had all of them pre 3 , pre 3 vbs x 2 , pre 5 ,and eix pre . The pre 5 is great .one pre 3 vbs i got a sean jacobs dc3 upgrade .john stronzer is very talented

You might like to try the c5i as a pre amp in your bedroom .on ebay at 795 and make a super pre amp.although i doubt they would send to Hawaii !!
Very helpful! Thanks! Not crazy about my pre3s flaccid volume control but the sound is excellent!

Interesting, the vol control is normally superb with these with 200 steps on the pre 3 or pre 5
Functionally the bel cantos volume control is excellent. But the “feel” is undamped, which is what I don’t like. Also would really like a balance control, which is a significant omission, in my opinion. Minimalism taken a bit too far. One reason preamps are so hard to choose.

Pretty sure the pre 3 vbs has balance control , the pre 5 certainly has. There are buttons on the remote for this function

If you want to save money The Fosi V3 as a power amplifier is insanely good, l am using it in this fashion with my modded Vincent SV237MK amp which drives ProAc Tablette 10 or Audionote ANK/LX. and the sound is spectacular.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom