advertisement

Compact power amplifier advice

NeilK

pfm Member
I'm currently using a Chord TToby (fed by a Music First passive) for a few months. It's a really nice little amplifier and the sound quality belies its diminutive proportions. However during lengthy listening sessions I sometimes find the sound a little sterile (may just be my old ears!) so was wondering if anyone could advise of other power amplifiers I ought to consider?
Thanks in advance.

EWA Q20 if you can find one (or one of Colin's new kit amps, of which he listed some in the FS section a few weeks ago). I seem to recall that the M50 that I have was originally yours.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations so far - I do like ewa amplification, hadn't thought of the Q20 though, it may well be a good solution, I don't know much about the Boxem or Fosi but I'll certainly mull over these suggestions.

@gustav_errata, yes, I hope it's still performing well, it was a distress sale tbh!

@gustav_errata, yes, I hope it's still performing well, it was a distress sale tbh
The silver pre-production one with oak cones attached, right? It's literally the only component I don't ever think about replacing! (aside from that damn power button)

@gustav_errata - yes, that’s the one. It originally had a standard switch but had that replaced by the button when I sent it to Colin to give it a check over and bias it a little more into class A.
That, along with maybe 3 or 4 other items is one of these “Why did I sell that!” pieces of kit - but needs must on some occasions:(

These little amps are crackers.Class A/B 80 watts based on a modifiied Naim NAP250 circuit designed by Neil McBride.They use a switch mode power supply like Class D .Sound better than any Class D amp I have heard. About 160 quid landed.I just bought another one for biamping my horn speakers.Sold as NA250 MOD amps on Allie Express.
As discussed herehttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr...kQFnoECCQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3qRru19ti2OXLRJLhez55o

advertisement

Back