advertisement

Comedy Records -spoken word

Hancock always worked well on record...

Personal favourites "The Blood Donor" and "The Radio Ham"

I have a nice EP copy of Paddy Roberts. Can't remember the EP title and I'm not looking for it at this time of night but it contains the superb 'Ballad of Bethnall Green.' Early 60s stuff before PC was invented, but superb.

I have just about every Round the Horne, Beyond Our Ken etc, featuring Kenneth Horne and Kenneth Williams et.al. All on MP3 if anybody wants them.
Also pretty much all of Hancock. " A pint?... that's very nearly an armful!!"

Back in the early sixties, an old school mate of mine had albums with titles like
" How To Win An Election, or Not Lose By Much", which were pretty funny. Can't remember who they were by but I'd suspect early Cleeves, Goodies, et.al. Worth looking out for.

Anything by Viv Stanshall, esp Sir Henry at Rawlinson End. Delightfully English Eccentricity with a more BBC sound than Auntie herself.

Anything by the Peter Cooke alter ego Sir Arthur Strieve Griebling. Utterly hilarious.

And Stan Freberg. Send ups of pop songs of the 50's. I suppose his send up of Belafonte's Banana Boat Song was best known, ('Man.. like I don't dig spiders') but he did others. E.g, Yellow Rose of Texas.
"YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH er just doin' a rebel yell there to kick things off.. know what a mean?

I may come up with more. It's late.

Mull

I have a Stan Freberg LP which I bought at Rothery's in St. Helens in about 1968, for the princely sum of 37/6. A lot of money in those days. The trick is still to find that material funny over 40 years later. Elderly Man River is interesting, though. It shows that political correctness is by no means a new phenomenon.

I have a BBC cassette of "A Bit of Fry & Laurie" that I bought about 15 years ago. It was a great travel companion as I could make 90 minutes of car travel slip past so easily listening to that.

"I was 5 years old when I first caught my parents 'at it'. My father said he was mending the fuse that made mummy's teeth work!"

Rowan Atkinson "Live in Belfast" Excellent if you see a copy buy it!
I have it on Vinyl!
Rowan-Atkinson-Live-In-Belfast-238677.jpg

Does anyone remember Shep Wooley - perhaps more sung than spoken. Pieces like "I wanna be a skinnead like my dad"/

One of the best LP's I've got is Mike Harding, including his sketch about the Sex Olympics. Almost tempted to give it a spin now (when Duckworth Lewis ends).

A few years back I spotted this boxed set in the local store and grabbed it!

41541EQMJQL._SS500_.jpg

A 4-CD set, this collection features all the original vinyl-released Sellers material plus some bonus items...

Particular favourites:

• Auntie Rotter (deliciously evil)
  • So little time (Major, somone stole the strings of my guitar...)
  • Party Political Speech (still relevant...)
  • Balham - Gateway to the South (been there...)
  • A Hard Day's Night (funereally amusing)

Only gripe - no Goon Show material (but that's another quest).

advertisement

Back