advertisement

Coloured equipment ?

Do you like coloured equipment?

• Yay

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • Nay

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters
When the 33 came out, people said, 'I'm not buying it with that bloody marigold thing on it.' Well, Peter loved that, he thought this was great. And customers would come up and say, 'Well, I'm not going to buy that unless you take that marigold thing off. You'll have to change that.' And he'd say, 'Well, I'm not. Bugger off. Go and buy a Leak. Go on, bugger off.'
😂From KK’s book, Ross talking.

All my stuff is black apart from speakers; good enough for Henry Ford, good enough for me. Don't like silver at all. I grew up with most stuff having wooden cheeks or in wooden sleeves and that touch of timber was nice. Then came the ubiquitous black boxes !!! My CDP is a bit weird inasmuch as it has wooden side cheeks on the DAC and transport but nowt on the 2 black metal power supplies. Added to DAC & transport are black acrylic fascias. Forgot about the 'silver-looking' handles on the pre. but I don't really notice them.

I remember from my days in retail that bright colours and special finishes attracted a lot of positive attention..... But no one ever bought them.

I remember from my days in retail that bright colours and special finishes attracted a lot of positive attention.....
I think that's the intention. I remember back in the day when Rega put first put out their bright green Planar 3. Stereo Stereo in Glasgow hung one in the window,

I think the strength and weakness of individually coloured items of Hi-Fi are the same thing.

We all have very individual tastes. There are things most people are un-offended by but the things we actively like are much more personal and context specific. Magnolia in a new house looks fine but most people soon change it, these days virtually always to some shade of fechin grey! The more personal something becomes, the smaller the number of other people it will appeal to. The problem is that many people just don't seem to understand this. Because they really love their modified car, with bright red painted engine covers and over-sized wheels, they're mystified as to why no one else wants to buy it.

So I don't have any problem with bright pink speakers or yellow LP12 plinth, if that's what matches your curtains then great. Just don't complain when you come to sell it and nobody wants it.
To me, it seems eminently sensible to buy/decorate for ones own enjoyment only, not for a future purchaser. I certainly didn't paint my speakers olive to please anyone else. 🙂

The turquisey green Shindo paint their amps is rather fetching.

montille.jpg

I remember from my days in retail that bright colours and special finishes attracted a lot of positive attention..... But no one ever bought them.
I guess dealers are very careful about buying dem stock even in silver because it puts people off buying

advertisement

Back