advertisement

[CLASSICAL VINYL] Electric Recording Company

matthewr

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld
Not cheap, to say the least, and no idea if the music is any good but interesting none the less.

These are no ordinary reissues. Hutchison's purism as a collector, it turned out, was outstripped by his perfectionism in the studio. Many vinyl reissues are produced cheaply and quickly on contemporary machinery. Hutchison insisted on doing everything as it would have been done half a century ago, but with added perfection. "I want to have the best-sounding records in the world," he says.

Naturally, this wasn't going to come cheap. "The first challenge," he tells me when I visit him at his studio in Notting Hill, London, "was finding and restoring the equipment." A willowy man with long hair and a gratifyingly bushy beard, Hutchison is every inch the obsessive audiophile, and now he has the machinery to match. The EMI reel-to-reel tape recorder on one side of the room, which had to be fully restored, would have been used at Abbey Road to record the Beatles and the Stone

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/may/25/pete-hutchison-interview-new-vinyl-recording

There is an interesting review in this month's BBC Music magazine. The Bach discs are £300 each, £900 for the set. The excellent Testament CD set can be obtained for about £20. Reviewer Andrew McGregor: 'the medium seems to have triumphed over the message' - especially concerning the £2,495 Mozart set 'with authentic 1950's French wind sounds, rough and ready horns, (and) sometimes edgy recording quality .....'

I like that - 'the medium seems to have triumphed over the message'. I think most will agree there is a balance to be struck. £2,500 by today's prices is probably 250 CD's or more. That's a great deal of music to entertain and educate yourself with.

Fascinating... but at £300 a disc I'd be inconsolable if it ever got a click or a pop. Much as I love my LP collection (mainly opera and classical), I'm not looking for perfection, but rather to enjoy the whole sensation of playing old records.

However, I'm always grateful for those that strive for something greater, as they help to set new standards that can benefit everyone.

advertisement

Back