advertisement

Classical music recommendations

I`ve not heard the rest of his 1963 set but I have the 5th on LP and it`s right up there with his 1951 recording and the Kleiber recording in my opinion.

Just listening to the 5th.First time I've heard this recording. Urgent and brilliantly played, with fine woodwind playing.Im quite impressed with the recording quality. For me, it doesn't supplant the Kleiber but very little gets near to those athletic, tight as a drum skin recordings. They move me like no other. For full sets, I'd also recommend the Szell or Zinman. The Szell is an old favourite but has variable recording quality.However, the Cleveland ensemble and the conducting are top notch. The Zinman and Tonhalle is lean, light and exciting.

I like Zinman's Beethoven a lot, as I do Mackerras and others that took on board the HIP aspects and applied it to the modern orchestra . His Schumann cycle is imo even better, right up with the very best.

I especially enjoyed the early symphonies. Light with good woodwind detail. Nice Seventh as well. I also enjoyed the Mackerras and the performances share a similar tempo.

Yes, it's those inner details that make the likes of Krivine so illuminating. With music like the Beethoven symphonies there's room for so many versions and approaches - I can enjoy Krivine and Furtwangler equally - plus all those dozens in between !

With the Krivine, it's like lifting the lid an peering at the inside workings more closely. Furtwangler and Klemperer appear to have a similar vision. I also love Toscanini and Szell. So many different approaches but all valid.

No idea if it's a recommendation yet as I've not got it, but DGG have just remastered and reissued Karajan's early '60s Beethoven cycle including the whole lot on a Blu-Ray Audio disk. I'm up for it as I've not got any Blu-Ray audio discs, yet have a player. I will report back when it shows up!
Has this arrived yet Tony? I would be intrigued as to whether it is definitely a different master from this one and if so whether it's better).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000056OBA/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Has this arrived yet Tony? I would be intrigued as to whether it is definitely a different master from this one and if so whether it's better).

It was sitting on the doormat when I got back in from cycling a few moments ago. Looks real nice, I'll compare it to the earlier master later (I have a copy which will no doubt be heading to the pfm shop at some point!). The packaging is a lot nicer on the new issue with some echoes of the lovely original vinyl box, though they missed a trick and didn't use nice DGG 'tulip' labels for the discs!

Lars Erik Larsson is a lovely recommendation. He wrote three beautiful symphonies. They show the influence of Grieg, but also have occasional beautiful neo-classical flourishes. Not rhapsodic like Grieg tends to be, but more respectful of the classical forms. If you liked the Gade you'll love these. They have a lot in common with early Nielson. Not as challenging though. The beauty though is in the melody and the detail. In fact listening to them now parts sound like Scandinavian Strauss. Hauntingly beautiful I think. Love to know what you all think

These recordings are lovely, they're also on Spotify if you want to hear them:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000027EJ5/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000027F8K/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I've had a listen to a couple of bits of S1 & S6 from the new Karajan box vs. the above (just CD vs. CD, not the Blu-Ray). The new mastering is better to my ears. There's nothing wrong with the earlier version as such, but the new master sounds a bit warmer and more extended and the strings sound nicer somehow, kind of more rounded and layered in space. It sounds great, exactly as it should. Anything the Blu-Ray adds really is a bonus.

PS They've changed the order in the new box, it's now in symphony order rather than what fits where, and disc #2 is the longest CD I've ever seen at 81:16!

I've had a listen to a couple of bits of S1 & S6 from the new Karajan box vs. the above (just CD vs. CD, not the Blu-Ray). The new mastering is better to my ears. There's nothing wrong with the earlier version as such, but the new master sounds a bit warmer and more extended and the strings sound nicer somehow, kind of more rounded and layered in space. It sounds great, exactly as it should. Anything the Blu-Ray adds really is a bonus.

PS They've changed the order in the new box, it's now in symphony order rather than what fits where, and disc #2 is the longest CD I've ever seen at 81:16!
Thanks, Tony
Although also a little bit, drat! £30 is quite steep.

I've got the vinyl set somewhere. Was enjoying 5 & 6 by Krivine last night. I like the smaller band and the immediacy of the live original instrument recording. It's quite different from any other recording I've heard.

advertisement

Back