advertisement

Classical music recommendations

The Matthäus-Passion just for its unbelievable slowness ;) it's funny to the point that it's almost worth buying.

The Brahms Requiem is wonderful isn't it ? Get the Karajan 1947 too, terrible sound but maybe the best thing Karajan ever recorded. The quality of the choir is not describable.

Bargain time

Big fan of Angela Hewitt's Bach. Considered at the top of the tree of current recordings.

A pretty complete set of her recordings of the Bach solo works on keyboard - 15 CDs £45 or CD quality FLAC download £45.

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDS44421/35

If that isn't the deal of the week, even if you've already got several of the titles, don't know what is.

Edward at Hyperion tells me she has The Art of Fugue coming out in the next month or so, which should be a cracker. Should beat my version by "Fretwork" on viols - for the die-hards only, I suspect, and needs a damned good audio system to separate out the parts.

Bargain time

Big fan of Angela Hewitt's Bach. Considered at the top of the tree of current recordings.

A pretty complete set of her recordings of the Bach solo works on keyboard - 15 CDs £45 or CD quality FLAC download £45.

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDS44421/35

If that isn't the deal of the week, even if you've already got several of the titles, don't know what is

That's tempting.

Available for a bit less - 45 Euros - from Qobuz...

http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/bach-angela-hewitt-piano/0034571144214

I think I have the same Art of Fugue as you - I think it came in the Brilliant Complete Bach box.

I've admired MP for over 30 years. His Bach that I've heard - keyboard concertos and Goldbergs - are also to my taste. Years ago I heard him play a lot of Chopin and Mozart. I went to a Chopin recital of his a few months ago, could have bought his entire discography for the price of the ticket. Was worth it, though.

Just listening to his Rondos and Sonatas on Naive. Very tender and meditative performances.Thank you for the pointer.

Just listening to his Rondos and Sonatas on Naive. Very tender and meditative performances.Thank you for the pointer.

Not a problem. :)

BTW his Chopin Preludes Op.28 are IMO the best I have ever listened to. At times very powerful, with little pedal use, and with great control.

Very interesting character who won't record CDs as it takes him away from his live performance and who requires ritual like preparation for his performances. He's also into the occult!!I shall review his recordings.I noticed some Scriabin and Rachmaninov as we'll.

I can imagine. He has that very personal searching quality reminiscent of Gould, Britten, Bernstein and Celibidache.

I've admired MP for over 30 years. His Bach that I've heard - keyboard concertos and Goldbergs - are also to my taste. Years ago I heard him play a lot of Chopin and Mozart. I went to a Chopin recital of his a few months ago, could have bought his entire discography for the price of the ticket. Was worth it, though.

His English Suites 1-6 on Sony are also very fine, I think.

No idea if it's a recommendation yet as I've not got it, but DGG have just remastered and reissued Karajan's early '60s Beethoven cycle including the whole lot on a Blu-Ray Audio disk. I'm up for it as I've not got any Blu-Ray audio discs, yet have a player. I will report back when it shows up!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back