advertisement

Classic Avant-garde/Experimental on 12" 45rpm? requests

mr.datsun

pfm Member
I've been playing various 45rpm 12" records with my new Dynavector 20x2L. It sounds fantastic and the 12" 45rpms I have been playing sound even more fantastic. 45rpm 12" is a great sounding format.

Is it worth compiling a list of must haves? And if so I'd like to concentrate on unpop and unrock music and the avant garde or music concrète. I have no real interest in techno or dance or even IDM ;)

I reckon the list will be small as 12" is such a minor format, except for dance-techno music and the few LPs that ReR put out on Nimbus at 45rpm.

Suggestions welcome!

here's what good stuff i have from memory:
Gruzi Elvis (45rpm 12" EP)
This Heat Health and Efficiency (45rpm 12" single)
Panasonic EP (45rpm 12" single)
Teenage Jesus Pink & Pre (45rpm 12" EPs)
Ubu Datapanik (45rpm 12" EP)
Naked City Torture Garden (45rpm 12" LP)
Painkiller Guts of a Virgin (45rpm 12" LP)
Wha Ha Ha (a ReR 45rpm 12" LP)

and I would add Microfiche and Chips by Red Krayola to the list.

I agree, 12" singles are fab! I have a load of them but none you'd want as they are electronica, rock and pop!

I have also been thoroughly enjoying LPs on 45RPM, there are quite a few about, one you might like is the Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto album; a classic everyone should have and a superb exercise in cool.

The sound quality and dynamics are incredible.

Anything by Durutti Column, particularly Deux Triangles. The new Godspeed! You Black Emperor LP might also do it for you.....

I agree, 12" singles are fab! I have a load of them but none you'd want as they are electronica, rock and pop!

I have also been thoroughly enjoying LPs on 45RPM, there are quite a few about, one you might like is the Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto album; a classic everyone should have and a superb exercise in cool.

The sound quality and dynamics are incredible.

The dynamics make it sound worth investigating. After never having been a Jazz fan I found myself listening to Eric Dolphy Out To Lunch because i liked the space in the recorded sound.

If Datapanik is in, Metal Box is it

DS

Although controversially imo, they're not in the same league as Ubu I had this set and do regret selling it. Yes the sound of the discs was great and like their sound as a band if not Lydon's vocals. I just can't bring myself to pay £100 for it and have the CD. But I know there's a 4 Men With a Beard version. Is it good? They didn't cut the side B with a closed loop which is a bit sad.

Anything by Durutti Column, particularly Deux Triangles. The new Godspeed! You Black Emperor LP might also do it for you.....

Never quite 'got' Durutti at the time but the sandpaper disc was played in the house. I should check it, thanks. But I just looked at dicsogs – they show Deuz Triangles as being 33 1/3 - is that right or wrong?

There was also a new wave funk 12" by Certain Ratio at or near the time.

G!YBE were cool enough to choose their name after a documentary about a Japanese motor cycle gang but otherwise I had never been drawn to them. I have listened to the link to their new LP on the Guardian site posted on this forum. I can see why it appeals to its fans but I'm afraid I can't get beyond the hermetic stoner rock angle, despite the interesting production and references to Indian classical music.

Forgot to add the Lydia Lunch side of Death Valley '69 12". Great song and for me the SY record.

btw. Discogs is very confused on their stance over 12" vs. LP. Some 45rpm LP length records are allowed to be called 12" and some 33rpm records are counted as 12". No consistency and often the true speed is not indicated – a problem with electronic sound based records.

advertisement

Back