advertisement

Chord Qutest

Alex S

carbon based lifeform
Recently announced. Presumably it will be to Hugo 2 as 2Qute was to Hugo 1, not that I've ever done any comparisons. Apologies for no images or links but feel free to add.

I'm not rushing out to buy one but it has a couple of features that would be useful to me and a couple of annoyances. 2 coax inputs; this will be useful when I buy the belt driven CD transport I covert since I'll be able to leave the Oppo UDP and the TV plugged in too. It has a more sensible enclosure. Most important, for me, variable voltage: 1,2,3V not just the fixed 3V on the 2Qute which is annoying with sensitive speakers. Presently, I only need volume at 9:30am to fill the street.

Downsides for me, filters that I won't resist messing about with and I don't like messing no more; micro USB 5V power instead of the more normal in hi-fi 12V 2Qute. I don't care what Rob Watts says the crappy wallwart that comes with 2Qute is bettered by a Custom Hi-Fi Cables DC2 or 3 LPSU, if only because the SMPS noise has been removed.

I use a Mojo for my main speaker system and like it a lot.
Was looking to upgrade to the Hugo2 but the Qutest ticks all right boxes.
Having connectors only on the rear panel is a real plus.

I use the Mojo with my main system and plan to get a dedicated DAC, retaining the Mojo for domestic head phone use. I like the Chord sound and the Qutest seems to tick all the boxes.

advertisement

Back