advertisement

Cheapest PSU option for an LP12 these days?

vln

Shuns mooks. And MQA.
I am in the process of selling some Hi Fi bits and pieces, including my LP12.

It's an average-condition black plinth LP12 from the early 90ies (IIRC), with an Akito 1 tone arm, but with a Lingo 2 PSU in mint condition.

I think it's probably better to sell the Lingo separately, as it's the most attractive part of the package, but that would leave me with selling an LP12 which doesn't run out of the box, and which consequently will be more difficult to sell.

So, what's the cheapest way to equip an LP12 with a PSU these days? Is the Hercules still the way to go? Is the PSU that Linn uses for their entry-level LP12 available separately? Any other options?

Cheers,
Samuel.

With the rash of cheap second hand LP12s about I wouldn't DIY it, look out for a Valhalla board.

As Mike says Johnnie at AO does a nice service, give him a call and see what's in.

If you are selling it then sell without a psu. Plenty of people out there who would want to put there own flavour of psu on it anyway. If you want the cheapest Linn solution, someone was selling a Vallhalla on here for £50 last week.

Probably better off selling each part separately

Plinth, platter, bearing and inner platter, lid and hinges, arm, motor, top plate, sub chassis.

If you want to get it running quickly and cheaply, a used Valhalla board and switch is yours for £50. Basik maybe less.

If you are selling it then sell without a psu. Plenty of people out there who would want to put there own flavour of psu on it anyway. If you want the cheapest Linn solution, someone was selling a Vallhalla on here for £50 last week.

Given that it's a relatively low-key LP12, they will hardly put something like a Radikal on it, so some equally low-key PSU might be more consistent.

Without a PSU, people will not even be able to check whether what they bought actually works, which might put off potential buyers.

Maybe not a Radikal, but quite easily an Armageddon, Valhalla, Hercules, Basic etc etc etc....... Or whatever they might have. Like i said if you really want to put something on it there was a £50 Valhalla on here last week.

No, the chances of it ending up with the 3K Radikal are second to none.

Keep in mind though you were using with Lingo which may appeal to others.

And a Lingo 2, which are quite sort after. On the biggest upgrades I did was Lingo 1 to Lingo 2, huge bargain.

Yep, of all the nonsense upgrades I did in my LP12/Naim wars this was the biggest all the others were at best a wee bit better (or so I told myself)

What about hercules , I fitted one of these power supplies when I had a linn produced a great improvement for me

advertisement

Back