advertisement

change afoot......

I decided to follow you on this route :) I sold my sub yesterday, so today I ordered the Hypex DLCP DAC/DSP and 4 UCD400HGs for a fully active digital 3 way system.

I will run 1xNC400 and 2xUCD400 on a single PSU (PSU mounted in a separate enclosure and hidden out of sight). My gut feeling is to use the NC400 on the mids (ATC SCM35 have much better quality midrange drivers than tweeters), and upgrade the UCD handling the tweeters with better regs (HxR) at some point in future.

Sounds like a good plan. Can the ucd's and the ncore use the same psu?

I've been following your project with much interest, I'm curious what your decision making process was in choosing the dlcp over the minishark and separate dacs?

I checked with Hypex and it is fine as long as they are not drawing loads of power. Since the ATC amp pack for the SCM50 is only 200+100+50 watts, I figure that a 600 watt PSU should be plenty.

I looked seriously at getting a couple of Buffalo 3s and a minisharc and running three channels from each DAC, but it wound up costing as much as the DLCP. In the end I chose convenience rather than tweakability. I trust that the Hypex guys know their stuff better than I do :)

I'm sure they do! I've got one buffalo already. I couldn't find any decent info about the chips that the dlcp used to do dac and dsp duties. I like to know what I'm buying into and mini dsp and twisted pear seem more transparent in that regard. I always thought It slightly off that hypex made DIY stuff with a veil of secrecy.

Do you know anything about the dlcp tech details?

Stefan

Yup, found some info over at diyaudio.com:

Dac: AK4396
Dac current source: NE5532
Balanced output buffers: OPA1632
DSP: TAS3108
USB audio: PCM2704C
ADC: PCM4202
SRC: SRC4382

New toys arrived today, 4xUcD400HG :) Will hopefully get the cases tomorrow and I can start wiring. No word on when the DLCP will be dispatched, but if I can get working six channel amps I can at least passively tri-amp and get a good baseline for the improvements full active will bring.

Well, I think I may have found another buff II, I already have a legato, tridents and AVCC so will be needing a placid BP HD and single placid HD to complete this setup. Any of you reg up-graders got any in drawers?

So all I need now, is another pair of amps and PSU's and the mini-sharc with PSU, measurement mic, another box.............

........damn, need a pay rise!!

Stefan

I decided to greatly simplify my project because it was rapidly becoming stupidly difficult and expensive. I just ordered a large case from Schaeffer in Germany. This will be drilled to accept:

1. 2 x SMPS600 PSUs
  2. 2 x NC400 amps
  3. 4 x UcD400HG amps
  4. 1 x DLCP
  5. 1 x DLCP input board
  6. 1 x DLCP display board
  7. 2 x Neutrik speakon 8p sockets

In effect, I am assembling a single, rather complex and powerful integrated amp. At some point in future this may be upgraded, but for now I want to get what I have up and running. Pics to follow in two weeks once the cases arrive.

I will keep the monoblock cases I bought for a future project. Unless anyone wants to buy them that is, they are the most beautiful monoblock cases (unused) that money can buy (if you are interested, PM me :)).

Wow, that's a big box then. Simpler isn't always easier, the routing of all those cables can be very nifficult to pull off, especially when you've already got the required boxes for monoblocks.....

I have two boxes for monoblocks, into which I was trying to squeeze three channels of amplification. This is the reason for the complexity. I have made a diagram showing the layout of cables and modules in the new case and it should be reasonable.

The box is only slightly bigger than my outgoing DAC, 420x315x56mm. The Hypex modules are tiny :)

Well time for a little update.

Amp is still brilliant :)

Now got two buffalo II DACs and legatos and plans are afoot (mainly thanks to John Luckins) for them to have a full complement of Salas Shunt Regulators.

Got confirmation from miniDSP that minishark and calibrated USB mic are going to be part of next production run :)

It'll still probably be a very long time until I implement all of this and I obviously still need two more amps but there is at least some progress.

Stefan

Awesome news! My minidsp microphone arrived this morning, and my enclosure is ready to ship, so it seems that when I get back home on Monday I will be ready to start assembly.

I will start a thread for my little project then, and will finally manage to post some pictures :)

Awesome news! My minidsp microphone arrived this morning, and my enclosure is ready to ship, so it seems that when I get back home on Monday I will be ready to start assembly.

I will start a thread for my little project then, and will finally manage to post some pictures :)

Looking forward to it.

I might stall at this point. The cost of the amps is the next stumbling block for me, skint now!! might be an Autumn job.

Stefan

Looking forward to photos. I currently have scm 40's and have been debating doing exactly what you are doing for a while!

Well, I inched forward yesterday, John Luckins built me some salas regs ( with some of his mods) for both my buffaloes, the wave IO and the miniDSP as I didn't have the time myself. Here they all are placed in the box, just need to find the time to build it!! HOpefully I'll get it done this month and buy the last pair of hypex modules I need next month.

In the meantime I've lent John my hypex amp as I've got nothing to plug into it at present. I know that probably means it'll come back with all sorts of extra regulation, voltage references, bits of wire, chokes etc and won't fit in to the box any more but ho hum! ;)

IMAG0477.jpg

advertisement

Back