advertisement

Caved in dust cap - Tannoy 15”

wainwj

pfm Member
Morning all,

Last year I finally discovered my ‘keeper’ speakers. 15” Tannoy HPD in rock solid 250l cabinets.
Through sheer stupidity I then promptly blew one of the drivers. Whilst trying to find the best amplifier match (still looking).
Luckily for me Lockwood In Watford is only just over an hour away. So after several trips up and down the A1 the driver was reconed and good as new.
At the same time they kindly covered the polished high frequency horn in the middle of each driver with large domed fabric dust covers free of charge.
More practical, less blingy and better suited in appearance I felt.

Anyway, I put some music on the other morning. Looked up at the left one and was absolutely horrified to see that it’s dust cap has been caved in, almost completely!
I summoned the 3 mini terrorists that sleep in what used to be a spare bedroom. Back when life was simple and quiet.
The youngest one, who was always odds on favourite, admitted to the act.
He is 2 years old. It must have been quite a sustained and determined effort. Since his hands are small and the dust cap is quite large.
He has managed to invert or flatten about 90% of it.
The glue has lifted on one section making up around 10 of its circumference.
i cannot hear anything rubbing or making contact when music is playing.
I only hit about 7 or 8 out of 10 on the rage scale as I believe that the damage is just cosmetic.

Is this assumption correct?
Can I do any damage by continuing to use them?
Any hints or tips as to how, or if I can fix this myself?

I was thinking of carefully exploring if Henry the Hoover might be able to suck it back out. If I can bodge an attachment, perhaps from a large soft drinks bottle, that sits around the dust cap.
I’m thinking it’s a long shot though since the material of the dust cap is porous.
Also that I may damage the high frequency driver placing such high airflow so close to it.

Any advice would be most helpful.

I’m unsure what the cap is made of but I managed to recover my spendor cap with a little hoover pressure.we have a Miele which has varying degrees of suction. If unsure about this approach you can also use masking tape to attach and pop out.

Purely cosmetic.

DO NOT use mechanical aids to try to suck it out again. Depending on the material - some are fine weave muslin, some are open cell foam, you might be able to use a drinking straw and your own suck, although I've not tried it. For far smaller dings, they can generally be eased out by working the surrounding material - a bit like squeezing a zit.

Look on the bright side - if the cap hadn't been there, what would have been fed into the open mouth?

Don't panic , the dustcap is only there to protect the ingress of debris . I don't think you will suck it out , it is quite a course mesh .

If it won't pick out with a needle , I would remove it , reshape and glue back in position .
The dustcaps are easily removed by careful application of IPA on a cotton bud around the glued "flange" . PVA works to put it back on .

Wrap some gaffa tape around a finger or two and touch the inverted dome centre, then pull it out slowly. IF its a cloth dome carefully wet it with damp sponge then let it air dry. Any creases should come out.

You might be able to order a new one from Lockwood, and they could probably help explain the process of removing the old one.

If you do try the vacuum approach, make sure to leave a big hole in whatever you attach to the vacuum. That way you can put it over the dome and vary the suction by gradually covering the hole.

1. Stop panicking. On this occasion it’s purely cosmetic.
2. Apply vacuum cleaner nozzle to suck it back to the right shape.
3. Use PVA to stick back down the edge that has come unstuck.
4. Find the culprit’s favourite toy and poke a hole in it - see how he likes it. I would have suggested a sound thrashing but I don’t have kids, so I’m not sure if you’re allowed to do that any more.

As it is woven fabric a vacuum probably wont shift it. Use some gaffa tape to tease it back out-it'll spring back into shape, mask off the cone where the cap is lifted(use very gentle pressure on the masking tape) and just apply a little bit of pva on the tip of a scalpel blade to the underside of the dustcap, gently remove masking tape then relax.

A 2 year who owned up should, I hope, have received equal measure of praise for the owning up as scolding for the original act!

We were told on a course I did (don't ask) that you should look at a child like a money box. The money going in is praise, the money going out is punishment. There should always be more money going in, than out.

A pair of my dynaudios had their tweeters pushed in..my fault..in box speakers facing upwards..I put something on top of box! Anyway I used my Henry hoover..worked fine

Morning all,

Last year I finally discovered my ‘keeper’ speakers. 15” Tannoy HPD in rock solid 250l cabinets.
Through sheer stupidity I then promptly blew one of the drivers. Whilst trying to find the best amplifier match (still looking).
Luckily for me Lockwood In Watford is only just over an hour away. So after several trips up and down the A1 the driver was reconed and good as new.
At the same time they kindly covered the polished high frequency horn in the middle of each driver with large domed fabric dust covers free of charge.
More practical, less blingy and better suited in appearance I felt.

Anyway, I put some music on the other morning. Looked up at the left one and was absolutely horrified to see that it’s dust cap has been caved in, almost completely!
I summoned the 3 mini terrorists that sleep in what used to be a spare bedroom. Back when life was simple and quiet.
The youngest one, who was always odds on favourite, admitted to the act.
He is 2 years old. It must have been quite a sustained and determined effort. Since his hands are small and the dust cap is quite large.
He has managed to invert or flatten about 90% of it.
The glue has lifted on one section making up around 10 of its circumference.
i cannot hear anything rubbing or making contact when music is playing.
I only hit about 7 or 8 out of 10 on the rage scale as I believe that the damage is just cosmetic.

Is this assumption correct?
Can I do any damage by continuing to use them?
Any hints or tips as to how, or if I can fix this myself?

I was thinking of carefully exploring if Henry the Hoover might be able to suck it back out. If I can bodge an attachment, perhaps from a large soft drinks bottle, that sits around the dust cap.
I’m thinking it’s a long shot though since the material of the dust cap is porous.
Also that I may damage the high frequency driver placing such high airflow so close to it.

Any advice would be most helpful.
Pointless getting angry..your the adult..you should have foreseen this..

Last edited:
My youngest daughter’s ex-boyfriend poured a cocktail inside my Yamaha AS2100. My rageometer hit 9.7, I wanted to kill the b*stard but managed to control my temper. The effort of doing so made me feel sick for days.

advertisement

Back