advertisement

Cassettes? Seriously?

I saw this yesterday…

Kraftwerk-SingleTape-FX-502.jpg

Kraftwerk-Tape-FX-502P-open.jpg

Kraftwerk-Tape-FX-502P-out.jpg

Only needs more of that kind of thing, and the current cassette revival will really take off.
That is cool.

As a playing copy of A Certain Ratio's "Graveyard & The Ballroom" I picked up the Factory linen style blue boxed cassette. While I was at it I picked up another ACR boxed cassette "The Old & The New".

For some inexplicable reason these collectable Factory Cassette editions got left in my parents Somerset retirement home loft...

...I spent a depressing afternoon trying to find them in the attic.

"Sorry son - I thought you were now a CD person - we dropped off all your cassettes at the local charity shop".

Thankfully the original green Factory pouch edition never left my side...

...I also have the Soul Jazz CD for listening today.

The first time I got to see ACR play live...

...was in 1987 - a Factory event in Finsbury Park - New Order, Happy Mondays, ACR and ahem the Railway Children.

My favourite ACR are the 1980 Factory 12” singles ‘Flight’ and ‘Du The Du (Casse)’. Those things just kick! Amazing records. I think the tracks are on Early, but whether they have anything like the punch I have no idea. The really extended 33rpm 12” of ‘Knife Slits Water’ is superb too.
Somewhere I have Live In America by ACR on cassette, bought from the band at one of their Portsmouth Poly gigs in 1985

Somewhere I have Live In America by ACR on cassette, bought from the band at one of their Portsmouth Poly gigs in 1985

I have a CD of that (French I think)...

...I did have the LP back in the day (so that's cost me - thanks very much for reminding me!)

I had one of those and in a moment of gross stupidity threw it out about 20 years ago in a clear out

Noooo, that’s criminal.

I should really have kept quiet, as I’ve just realised it’s at the central intersection of a cassette / Kraftwerk / calculator / pfm Venn diagram, so now I’m expecting a bidding war should one ever show up on ebay. : )

(Not that I’m a nerd, no sir, but the calculator shown is a Casio FX-501P, as used on the song with the FA-1 cassette interface.)

Just remember in the mid 80s the record industry had a purge on tapes and people “home taping”
Home taping is killing music
They thought that people were taping records and then sharing with others
How times have changed
All the file sharing that went on with digital music and Metallica personal attack on early file sharing providers
(Funny that early Metallica rarities on cassette are worth a fortune now)
And now with streaming in full flight
And artists moaning about Spotify and tidal
All I can say cassette has never done anything to kill music in my eyes
Only made it more accessible to younger listeners and cheaper to get new music out
And obviously the effects of “stranger things” made it hip to have a Walkman and cassettes once again

In the same clear out went about 300 tapes, mostly home recorded, but also a stack of bootlegs I’d bought when I was a student in the early 80’s - loads of stuff from the student unions at Strathclyde Uni, Glasgow uni and the College of Technology.
And I’d rather not think about the ones from Scirocco / Shabby Road studios or I’ll start to cry ……

I sorted out my cassettes a few days ago , Total 192 pre recorded and about 40 new sealed blank tapes, Top of the player tree is my Dragon , Also have about 6 other players.

Five years ago I started looking around to sell my two (lowly) Naks and 200+ homemade tapes.

Now I have 500+ tapes, seven (lofty) Naks, and four other decks (also not exactly slouches). I have refurbished and sold on another 30 decks, mostly Naks. COVID played, of course, a role in this.

Not that I listen to them, but working on them is oddly satisfying.

Always wanted to get a more lofty Nak. I did have a lower tier Nak at one point but it failed. I like playing cassettes but probably couldn’t justify a higher Nak. I am content with my Denon 800.

I used to love cassettes because I could borrow albums I couldn’t afford from friends and tape them.
I have kept a few decks but they are just ornaments. They do work though (I think).

It’s good to have the option and I still have a decent range of cassettes. You can also buy them for relative pennies.

Used to use cassette to record off air - never bought pre recorded as i thought the SQ was so poor - built up a collection of about 200 ,but now all digitised and the tapes and machines all gone.
Last decks were a Yamaha midi and a Beocord.

Every Sunday I used to commandeer my dad's Hi-Fi for the weekly top 20 chart rundown hooking up my portable Philips cassette recorder & recording all the songs I liked. I managed to get all this recording malarkey down to a tee so I knew when to start & end the recording without DJ chatter :)

I was so incensed with the charts at the time I also used to do my own top 20 chart, neatly listed in notebooks!

I used to love cassettes because I could borrow albums I couldn’t afford from friends and tape them.
I have kept a few decks but they are just ornaments. They do work though (I think).
I borrowed a few albums here and there. This proved very costly once when I left the few LP's I borrowed on the back shelf of the car on a rather sunny day...... :(

In the same clear out went about 300 tapes, mostly home recorded, but also a stack of bootlegs I’d bought when I was a student in the early 80’s - loads of stuff from the student unions at Strathclyde Uni, Glasgow uni and the College of Technology.
And I’d rather not think about the ones from Scirocco / Shabby Road studios or I’ll start to cry ……
Bet you start to scream like that guy in that Norwegian painting if you think about what shite you decided to NOT throw away that time :D

Ouch. Sorry but I have to ask, Trash Can Sinatras by any chance?

Still regretting throwing out old TCS fan club stuff here.

advertisement

Back