advertisement

Cassette Deck.

mikegreenwood

pfm Member
Are cassette decks still a wanted item. I’ve been given a time warp Yamaha KX 393. Don’t know if it would attract a buyer or I’d be wasting my time. Sad to think some things pass.

Still using mine after it had sat dormant for many years.

PXL-20240121-190333978.jpg

I have a Yamaha KX-380.
A similar budget model to the KX-393.

They are excellent performers though and it seems a shame that the technology is overshadowed now.

There is still some interest in the format from oldies looking through their old cassette collection as well as the young music market.

All be it, niche.

There is still a lot of interest and decks, as well as tapes, sell for quite a lot of money. It looks like your deck will get £60-75 on eBay.

It's a fun part of the hobby. I enjoy using tapes and I have been amazed at how incredibly good a well-recorded tape on a high quality deck can sound. I think our memories of cassettes are sullied by the fact most people had cheap nasty portable players and/or low-quality all-in-one home systems.

I think our memories of cassettes are sullied by the fact most people had cheap nasty portable players and/or low-quality all-in-one home systems.
Not my memories. I had some fine players from '71 on (the heyday '70s & 80s) and from vinyl to R2R (401/3012/V15 + Revox) to cassette still produced a good enough s.q, for most people and far far better than mass-produced shop ones (they were 'orrible)

I sold my Aiwa cassette deck a couple of years ago but haven't got round to selling my cassettes up to now. Mostly TDK SA90 / Maxell UDXLII. If you need some then please get in touch. There might even be a bit of half decent music left on them.

My Nakamichi RX-505 starting misbehaving, so it's in a box in storage until I can find a repair solution. I miss it. Cassettes are fun.

Cassettes are fun.
Yes, they reely are! Somewhere in my loft is a large box with all the cassettes I recorded over, say, 30 years for my own pleasure. Heaven only knows what they're like now and my Denon 3 head rests forlornly on a shelf under my vinyl front end, almost certainly in dire need of TLC

When I was teaching EFL classes, one of my learning aids was music with clear, intelligible words recorded onto on my cassette and played on my radio-cassette player, with lesson sheets specific to each of my library of songs. The students loved these lessons; esp. the younger (university age) ones.

One of these days........

There's certainly a market for the top brands such as Nakamichi, the TEAC/Tascam professional decks, Studer/ReVox top Aiwas and the top of the range models from a few other consumer brands, but outside of that not so much.

I sold a Teac C1 as a non worker for a friend a few years back and it got just under GBP200.

I would have serviced it but I just couldn't get the rollers it needed so I've no idea how anybody else could serviced it up unless they had a stash of NoS parts.

Yours is a model that might be worth something if it works.

The market peaked a few years ago and some absolutely mental money was changing hands but it seems to have fallen back now.

I Love my cassette players ( last count about 6 including a Dragon ) , They are all part of music / hifi development , I have 100's of pre recorded cassette's and about 50 new sealed ones.

Even though I have a Nak 3 head in storage, it's a format I'm happy to see gone. Remember, you listen to a copy you KNOW is inferior to the original.

I eBay’d my Pioneer cassette deck for £140 around 15 years ago and thought that wasn’t bad for an obsolete medium.

A serviced one now sells for £800!

Remember, you listen to a copy you KNOW is inferior to the original.
This was never in doubt, but used as a teaching medium and playing in my car on many long survey, holiday flat maintenance and research trips, these home-recorded cassettes were invaluable. Especially when out of radio range in, e.g. darkest wales.

For those with lower end or portable audio playback systems, a cassette player was a very effective AND, subjectively, quality medium if recorded from and onto high class kit.

This was never in doubt, but used as a teaching medium and playing in my car on many long survey, holiday flat maintenance and research trips, these home-recorded cassettes were invaluable. Especially when out of radio range in, e.g. darkest wales.
Certainly. My main use of cassettes was in the car. I even had the top of the range Alpine head unit in the car. But now???

advertisement

Back