advertisement

Cartridge for Hadcock arm

florette69

pfm Member
I have a TD160 with GH228 and would appreciate some helpful cartridge suggestions. I've used a variety of carts in the past - starting out some thirty years ago with a sequence of Grados, and most recently I've been using an Ortofon 530. I like the general sound of the Ortofon, but believe the arm merits something more refined, particularly in the midband.

Most of my records are rock, reggae or jazz, mostly older pressings. No classical or noodly audiophile stuff.

You might like a cart from Benz Micro. The MO9 I had has precisely the refined midband qualities you describe.

Interesting suggestion, thanks. I have no personal experience of Benz, though appreciate that they are highly rated. Difficult/impossible to home dem carts of course, so personal recommendations are valuable.

Decca London and Hadcock is a marriage made in heaven... if you like the err, distinctive, Decca sound.

The main reason I suggested Benz was based on actually trying ti with a Hadcock was when I was trying out which I preferred the most Morch UP4 vs Hadcock 228 a very early version I hasted to add... I actually tried Koetsus and Benz M09. The Koetsu and Morch was better to me than Benz and Morch (just more of a difference really) but the Benz and Hadcock was exceptionally detailed and lively.

There may even be a pic of my 2-armed Orbe with the Hadcock and the Morch lying about.

Found it...

showoff by Tanais Fox, on Flickr

(PS that's not dust, just back in the day jpegs were very lo res for me)

You might also try some of the more refined wooden-bodied Grados. They have a nice midrange and work fine on unipivots.

I'm using a Hadcock 228 with a Benz Micro Glider. Mates very well, especially with silicone damping fluid in the Hadcock well. the Benz is a considerable improvement over the Ortofon OM 40 I've used in the past.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I used Grado for a decade or so, albeit the lower end of the range at that time.

Benz obviously needs to go on the list.

Nice photo of the mutant Orbe.

A while back I was looking into the Music Maker cartridge (apparently a much tweaked Grado), and was told it worked very well in a Hadcock.

Decca London and Hadcock is a marriage made in heaven... if you like the err, distinctive, Decca sound.

Given your musical tastes, I would strongly recommend putting the Decca on your list. I ran mine on a 160S but the Thorens wasn't in the same league as my Dad's Garrard 401 or my later Roksan Xerxes.

Nic P

advertisement

Back