1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cartridge for Hadcock arm

Discussion in 'audio' started by florette69, May 6, 2012.

1. florette69

florette69 pfm Member

I have a TD160 with GH228 and would appreciate some helpful cartridge suggestions. I've used a variety of carts in the past - starting out some thirty years ago with a sequence of Grados, and most recently I've been using an Ortofon 530. I like the general sound of the Ortofon, but believe the arm merits something more refined, particularly in the midband.

Most of my records are rock, reggae or jazz, mostly older pressings. No classical or noodly audiophile stuff.

2. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

You might like a cart from Benz Micro. The MO9 I had has precisely the refined midband qualities you describe.

3. florette69

florette69 pfm Member

Interesting suggestion, thanks. I have no personal experience of Benz, though appreciate that they are highly rated. Difficult/impossible to home dem carts of course, so personal recommendations are valuable.

4. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

Decca London and Hadcock is a marriage made in heaven... if you like the err, distinctive, Decca sound.

5. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

The main reason I suggested Benz was based on actually trying ti with a Hadcock was when I was trying out which I preferred the most Morch UP4 vs Hadcock 228 a very early version I hasted to add... I actually tried Koetsus and Benz M09. The Koetsu and Morch was better to me than Benz and Morch (just more of a difference really) but the Benz and Hadcock was exceptionally detailed and lively.

There may even be a pic of my 2-armed Orbe with the Hadcock and the Morch lying about.

Found it...

[​IMG]
    showoff by Tanais Fox, on Flickr

(PS that's not dust, just back in the day jpegs were very lo res for me)

6. paskinn

paskinn pfm Member

You might also try some of the more refined wooden-bodied Grados. They have a nice midrange and work fine on unipivots.

7. brab

brab pfm Member

I'm using a Hadcock 228 with a Benz Micro Glider. Mates very well, especially with silicone damping fluid in the Hadcock well. the Benz is a considerable improvement over the Ortofon OM 40 I've used in the past.

8. florette69

florette69 pfm Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I used Grado for a decade or so, albeit the lower end of the range at that time.

Benz obviously needs to go on the list.

Nice photo of the mutant Orbe.

9. guey

guey pfm Member

A while back I was looking into the Music Maker cartridge (apparently a much tweaked Grado), and was told it worked very well in a Hadcock.

10. Nic P

Nic P pfm Member

Given your musical tastes, I would strongly recommend putting the Decca on your list. I ran mine on a 160S but the Thorens wasn't in the same league as my Dad's Garrard 401 or my later Roksan Xerxes.

Nic P