advertisement

Carmina Burana - Which recording?

kitemap

Immoderate
I've had this first on audio cassette and then also on CD. The audio cassette version was a copy and I have no idea what recording it was but is fantastic but the CD version I have is tame in the extreme.
I want to buy it on vinyl and wondered what recording I should get, what are your opinions?
New or out of pressing is fine.

Thank you

David

Thank you but...........
unless the vinyl version is somewhat better than the CD version then I'll have to pass on that as it's the same recording as I have on CD.

Mind you it could be that my CD player is shite.

Eugen Jochum on DG is a good one,Janowitz,Stolze and Fischer-Dieskaw as soloists.

This is the best interpretation in the catalogue! The DG pressing is quite respectable. I picked a copy up second hand as a spare recently in good nick.The level is a bit low but detail is fine and the soloists and choir will make you wonder how it's possible to do this work to such a remarkable standard. I do not believe it will ever be bettered. Sublime!
The most disappointing one is the recent'ish Simon Rattle / Berlin Philharmonic.
Over-polished and sluggish, too "beautiful."

The Jochum is very good and if you're limited the vinyl it is probably the one I'd go for.

Completely disagree about the Rattle/BPO version - superbly played and plenty of drama.

Another favourite of mine is from Runnicles and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra on Telarc. Extremely well recorded, the singing and playing is excellent (a highlight is the voice of soprano Hei-Kyung Hong). Runnicles manages to make an over-familiar work seem remarkably fresh.

regards, Tam

For a fully authentic Carmina, you must have at least four ex-Nazi Party members in the production.....

For something a bit different, try Ray Manzarek's Uber electronic rendition of Carmina Burana.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back