1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Carl Zeiss-F?

Discussion in 'photo' started by Joe P, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

2. Martin D

Martin D Libertarian Division

sorry to be dim - i take it this makers lenses are special?

3. auric

auric pfm Member

The future of photography :confused:

4. Martin D

Hey Joe (sorry about that, a few glasses of wine this evening)
    Any comments re ZEISS ZM 35mm F2 Biogon V Leica 35mm f2 Summicron M ASPH
    Just thinking - i'm quite taken with the Zeiss Ikon rangefinder

5. Martin D

Or does UK£700 V UK£1200 say it all ?
    :eek:

6. Joe P

Martin,

Dunno. I've not shot with either lens, but Carl Zeiss certainly has a great reputation. I'd love to try a CZ prime on my camera, but I suspect that the cheapest glass they make is too dear for me.

Joe

7. Martin D

Thanks

8. Joe P

Rumours have become facts.

Joe

* Inneresting... very inneresting

9. Artioneer

Artioneer tripath walker

These high resolution lenses below are all very nice if only I could use them to their optimum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Joe P

The first two F-mount Zeiss lenses are more reasonably priced than I expected:

From the Zeiss site -- http://www.zeiss.com/c12567a8003b58b9/contents-frame/098729cea9ef2428c1257118005d1d20

Obviously not cheap, but Nikon users will soon have an excellent 50mm option available. (The CZ 85mm f/1.4 will likely be amazing, too, but then so is the Nikkor version, one of the few lenses Nikon really got right.)

Joe

* Hope this isn't an April Fool's joke. I know Germans are funny -- funny like clowns -- but they're typically utterly humourless when it comes to lenses. This is serious stuff, you know.

P.S. These new lenses are supposed to be crazy sharp, too --

11. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

joe.

as a german friend recently pointed out to me, humour is eithier the product of a mistake or the premeditated, psychological defense against the production of a mistake.

the germans do not make mistakes (except when they ally themsleves with the japanese).

vuk.

12. Joe P

Vuk,

Well, these German lenses are actually made in Japan by Cosina, like Voitländer glass, so it's an alliance of sorts.

From http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-7890-8183
    Joe

13. Joe P

If these pictures are any indication, the new F-mount Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 has fallen well short of my expectations. I don't see anything to suggest that it's any better than the cheaper 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor -- the tonality isn't any more subtle, the sharpness isn't any greater and the bokeh certainly isn't any creamier.

Terribly disappointing CZ 50mm f/1.4 image samples

Joe, hoping this is just a bad sample and not a true indication of the new lens's capabilities

14. guybat

guybat [+]

They just look like seriously crap photographs to me. Bugger the lens, it's the photographer.

15. Joe P

Guy,

No question -- they're crap pix. That said, the bokeh, sharpness and tonality aren't anywhere near as good as I had hoped.

Joe

16. guybat

guybat [+]

Are they genuinely Deutschefarken lens? Or Cosina? I've seen some absolutely stunning old Zeiss lens pix somewhere. If they made a 24mm one I'd rob a bank.

17. Joe P

Guy,

My understanding is that the glass is designed by Zeiss but manufactured by Cosina to keep costs down. More info is here --

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-7890-8183

Note that your wish for a ZF wideangle may be granted --
    So, which bank tonight, boss?

[​IMG]

Joe

18. guybat

guybat [+]

A beeg one. I think you should purchase the 50mm in the interests of group research.

19. auric

auric pfm Member

Securitas.

20. Joe P

More ZF 50mm/1.4 sample pix...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=17686084

The last shot, of the FM3A, has nice tonality, but the bokeh of the first four shots isn't that impressive for a lens that was supposed to be, well, impressive. I'm withholding judgment until I can try a ZF 50 myself, but the samples I've seen on the Net so far have been disappointing.

Joe