advertisement

Canon EF 24mm Repair Help!

Tenson

Trade: AudioSmile
I have this old lens that I want to stick on eBay.

However I discovered the focus doesn't work. At first the focus ring just didn't do anything, turning freely. I opened the lens up and can not see any damaged cogs or rings. So I re-assembled and the focus ring now kinda works, but slips.

Can anyone help me with what I need to do to repair this?

I note the focus track on the lens assembly has a little 'finger' and I'm not sure where this is meant to locate in the lens shell?

20160920_150851.jpg

20161002_155833.jpg

20161002_162159.jpg

20161002_172437.jpg

20161002_174047.jpg

20161002_172504.jpg

There is a slight looseness in the lens core, I'm not sure if it is meant to be there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure there is a problem?

These older motorised canon lenses have either AF (selected by the switch) where the focus ring doesn't do anything, or MF (selected by the switch) which engages the manual focus ring, and disables AF completely.

Basically, a spinning focus ring when in AF mode is correct behaviour!

Cesare

I got it working :)

Firstly I had to insert it all with correct alignment. There was a tiny detent in the top of the body to match the lens segment and it slotted in a little deeper.

Secondly I had to give the whole sliding assembly a dose of greese, beause it was binding at one point and the small gears didn't have enough force to overcome it. This was particuarly the case if held so that gravity was working against it.

Lubed up and reassembled it works smoother than new! I also got to clean all the lens segments which is a plus.

advertisement

Back