advertisement

Canon 5D Classic/17-40mm Value

Oakwood

pfm Member
Welcome views on the value of a Canon 5D classic and 17-40mm in today's' market. Mulling over options at the moment.

Both are mint and the camera has shot less than 1,000 actuations.

Many thanks.

Richard

Hard to value a camera with such a low shuttercount, but I've seen reasonable ones like yours going for the low £300s, privately, so you can guess the trade-in price. I've got one with about 12k on the shutter and it's had the mirror fix done and I think I'm looking at the £300 mark for it. The 17-40 is harder to price and may depend on the date code on the lens mount (2 letters and 4 numbers) as some private buyers seem obsessed with this, rather than the condition and performance of the lens. The mid £300s seems likely.

Depending on what you are planning to buy, there are some enhanced trade-in deals on some Canon gear and also the Fuji X cameras, so might be worth a look?

http://www.wexphotographic.com/

As someone who owns both a 5D(mk2) and the Fuji XPro-1, please try the Fuji to see if the quirky handling suits you. It's a superb camera, but there are things about it I hate. I bought it without trying one, and whilst I have adapted to it, it was never close to being the 'digital Contax G2' I had hoped...

As to value? I had a 17-40/4L and sold it for £325 which was a little too cheap. £350-400 seems right. The 5mk1? I'd suggest around £400 perhaps?

I used to have a 5D mk1 (before upgrading to a mk3) and it was a fantastic camera. The handling of the 5D range is superb. Even though the mk1 is quite a few years old know it is great value if the prices mentioned are correct.

advertisement

Back