advertisement

Canon 350d of Pentax *istDL or Nikon D50 ???

tomek

pfm Member
Hi,
I am thinkig about buying digital slr.
Canon 350d 650€, or Pentax *istDL 580€ or Nikon D50 560€. At the begining just with standard 18-55mm lens.

Which one ? Anybody has experience with at least two of them ?

Cheers, Tomek

Try a Konica-Minolta 7d. As they sold this model (with the 5d) to Sony, it is very cheap now with much more functions than the Nikon and canon. I understand that on summer Sony will go with its own dslr based on the Konica-Minolta and Sony gives all the support to the Konica-Minolta owners. Another benefit may be Zeiss lenses with Konica-Minolta bayonet.

Arye

Konica-Minolta 7d is very good indeed, but the camera body is to big. I prefer the smaller size like Canon 350d or Pentax, Nikon 50d is already little to big.

Tomek

The biggest plus point of the Pentax is the bright viewfinder. Don't underestimate the importance of this. If you really want a single lens to start with, forget the 18-55mm. The Pentax D-FA 16-45mm F4 is a much MUCH better lens.

The other good thing about Pentax is you can use most of their earlier lenses, starting with the SMC-A range for auto-aperture coupling with manual focusing. Even the early K and M lenses can be used in fully manual mode if so desired.

James

Hello- I went for the Canon 350, after a try on most at that price..

Very happy with it.
Alfy

"The biggest plus point of the Pentax is the bright viewfinder"

Not on the DL. They nerfed it and replaced teh pentaprism with a 94% penta-mirror.

You need a DS2 (not in Europe) or a D now. I got the last DS with a good viewfinder in Europe direct from Pentax.

"Pentax D-FA 16-45mm F4 is a much MUCH better lens"

It's very, very good for a zoom (albeit a constant aperture, pricey one). I have been seriously considering one.

Matthew

matthewr said:
Not on the DL. They nerfed it and replaced teh pentaprism with a 94% penta-mirror.

You need a DS2 (not in Europe) or a D now. I got the last DS with a good viewfinder in Europe direct from Pentax.
Damn, what a shame. I thought the DL shared the same pentaprism as my DS. A mistake, obviously.

It's very, very good for a zoom (albeit a constant aperture, pricey one). I have been seriously considering one.
Get a friend in the USA to buy one for you. B&H are selling it for USD309.95 after rebate.

James

I can't help but think that looking at bodies is the wrong approach.
From what I've seen, the last item that you'll have for years is your lenses, with bodies being superceeded quite regularly.
Based on that, have a think about which lenses you'd prefer to be using 1, 2 or 5 years from now, then buy the body to fit.

James said:
The other good thing about Pentax is you can use most of their earlier lenses, starting with the SMC-A range for auto-aperture coupling with manual focusing. Even the early K and M lenses can be used in fully manual mode if so desired.

James
You can also use all the old M42 screw mount lens with an adaptor. Picked up a Jupiter 9 yesterday and it works perfectly with the Pentax adaptor.

Stuart.

Quite. I still rue the day I stupidly sold my collection of Pentax K-mount primes and LX system in exchange for a Nikon F90X and a couple of Nikkors (one of which was utter shite). I now wait in vain to find another SMC-A* 85/1.4 that sells for less than USD800 on eBay.

James

advertisement

Back