advertisement

Can you ID Conductor Charles Hazlewood's stereo

louballoo

Banned
I have been watching the excellent BBC series The Birth of British Music and was intrigued by one scene where Charles Hazlewood was interviewed and you could see his stereo.

Charles Hazlewood, if you read PFM can you tell us what kind of kit you have?

If we don't hear from Charles, then maybe someone else can identify this kit.

Louballoo

Here is a screen cap:

Charles_Hazlewood_stereo_1.png

TT loks like Dual to me. I might have said Phillips CDP, or Marantz. Looks modest, at any rate. Many musicians do ahve modest hifis, especially in offices etc. I've a friend who is a very accomplished cellist, she has some sort of budget one-box stereo in the lounge and an iPod, and that's all she needs or wants to use, whether she's learning a piece or just listening for enjoyment.

I'm with Basil on the amp. Looks like a double cassette deck at the bottom. Those tweeters look familiar too but a lot of water's gone under the bridge...

Heybrook or jpw with that tweeter, defo arcam amp and cd player looks like an Eclipse which would potentially make that a Richers sounds Hifi circa 1999.

The tweeter is almost certainly the ubiquitous 1" Audax and there was a fashion for putting felt around it though I can't remember who did it in squares. The midrange is the Peerless paper 4" unit with its own enclosure; the same as used in the Nightingale NM1s and quite a few other upmarket speakers. The bass looks like the Audax 8" unit which was used by Tangent. It differs from the similar KEF B200 by having an inverted surround and a larger dust cap (Tangent used both).

I just can't remember who would have put this combination together but I doubt they are Heybrooks. I would date this combo of units at around 1978 which would pre-date Heybrook. It could be an MS speaker (don't know if they made their own units then), maybe something from Nightingale. Probably pretty good in their time, though - and probably fairly "referency".

Looking at the label - and this would be consistent with the units - could they be very early Naim speakers? From before them just doing amps and well before the SBLs. Two circles in the top left and writing underneath?

The speakers look British and 1970s to me; Chartwell, Dalesford, RAM, something like that, maybe even very early Castle, but I've never seen that tweeter in one. One key identifying feature is what looks like a slab-top to the cab rather than mitred, I've seen this on both early B&W and Chartwell. By saying all this they may be DIY as there is an unfinished MDF look to the sides, I'm not seeing any wood grain here.

Tony.

twin cassette deck is a Denon DRW750 circa 1990 - I used to have one :eek:

CDP looks like a Pioneer or Technics from a midi system

Many musicians do ahve modest hifis, especially in offices etc.

I think the gold knobs on the Arcam and the magnetically levitated record player support (just a hairsbreadth above the CDP) give it away. The system has been bodged to within an inch of its life, it's probably full of gold in oil caps and superduperregs etc. The speakers are prototypes for the next generation of ATCs - that's why the finish is a bit unfinished.

Lou - of course he is using Kimber KS-9093XXZXX speaker cable as well

I think the gold knobs on the Arcam and the magnetically levitated record player support (just a hairsbreadth above the CDP) give it away. The system has been bodged to within an inch of its life, it's probably full of gold in oil caps and superduperregs etc. The speakers are prototypes for the next generation of ATCs - that's why the finish is a bit unfinished.

Lou - of course he is using Kimber KS-9093XXZXX speaker cable as well

Amp in an Arcam Alpha 3 like this one on E-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARCAM-ALPHA-3..._HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item5d2cd13701

Looks like the knobs wear to leave a gold finish ;)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Oh, and if you are wondering how I can see his speaker cables, you need one of these:

Ebay item (174084708) Seller ID Cliff _Q_Ng Bidding has now ended for this item:
Image Intensifer and X-ray kit - MI5 clone (upgraded)
More than 10 available.

High End Tube/Value based Image improver PCB w/parts
output 40Watt/Channel
Circuit design reference on MI5 Model 8 as used by Jane Bond and famous Q
Model No: T-62, kit. This kit is build it yorself only
Package includes:
-T-62 PCB with parts x 1
-Logical Schema diagram x 1

Optional:
-Tubes for upgraded image seeing
- Upgraded beeswax CCD

Looks like a hi fi system. That is all he will be bothering about as it is all he needs to tell a good recording from a bad. After that it's embellishment IMO.

Was thinking Castle speakers too.........about £40 s/h....nice one :D

advertisement

Back