advertisement

Can a sub be too big for the room?

So, they're not just smaller, then?

Good excuse. Better than the dodgy goujon one.
I have heard that frequencies below 15Hz can make you nauseous, with 7Hz being a resonant frequency that can cause physical harm if it's loud enough. There was of course an infamous sonic weapon that attempted to exploit this, but the difficulty was that the sound wasn't directional enough and the weapon operators were being harmed instead.
Years ago I made a sub and installed it behind the listening sofa. I had a mate round, played some music and dialled the sub up without saying while I "made a cup of tea". A few seconds later he was giggling away and complaining that the sofa was trying to assault him.
Beats leaning against the washing machine ;) šŸ¤¢

So, they're not just smaller, then?

Why should they be smaller? šŸ˜®

I am unable to post a pic of my living room but my 15" subs are sealed - external dimensions about 900h x 600d x 400w - whilst my 'mains' are open-baffle (however they don't actually have a baffle - just 4x 6 1/2" cones plus a ribbon tweeter each side; the drivers are held by birch ply struts!).

Why should they be smaller? šŸ˜®

I am unable to post a pic of my living room but my 15" subs are sealed - external dimensions about 900h x 600d x 400w - whilst my 'mains' are open-baffle (however they don't actually have a baffle - just 4x 6 1/2" cones plus a ribbon tweeter each side; the drivers are held by birch ply struts!).
Father Ted joke. Look up Father Ted smaller further away on YouTube.

advertisement

Back