advertisement

Camera Shopping again

The big Fuji's are not that well built. A minor thump disconnected the rangefinder mechanism on my old GS645S, but it was light to carry (770g) and easy to use. However, it is no Leica nor Nikon F in terms of robustness.

Nick

Cliff,

You bought a D3?

Joe

Yes, and proud of it. After much beer fed discussion with Cesare about his Canon Pro thing I came to the conclusion that an amateur photographer need not fear a pro camera. The only real down side is that some people may post some negativity on here about my ability to take pictures with it.

I look forward to posting some post D3 pictures which I hope you may appreciate.

best regards,
Cliff

Cliff, I'll swap you my virtually unused Pentax K100D + 2 old manual SMC lenses (35/2.8 and 50/1.7) for your M8/Summicron :)

-- Ian

ian.

in anticipation of the deal, and considering you've now got a hassy, i'll be glad to take the mamiya 6 off your hands.

vuk.

Cliff,

Not that you need convincing -- it sounds like it's in your hands as I write -- but have you read Bjorn's review of the D3? If you're wavering, his review will probably clinch the deal.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/D3/D3_rev00.html

With a D3 it's a given that you can safely shoot at 6400 ISO without intrusive noise, so you are hereby instructed to never go within a 100 miles of a flash. Ever.

Also, there should be a camera hand-me-down event where I end up with something nice -- or at least one of Guy's cones or reject mattresses.

Joe

2385238786_68c2f6e1b3_o.jpg

Der adler ist gelandet

lovely..if a bit big - a colleague has the d200 which is a handful!

ok, quick question here - I've got the canon 400d with the stock lens (don't use!), the nifty fifty (f1.8) and a 70-300mm...

was thinking about replacing my f1.8 with the f1.4 (30mm or 50mm) - do you think it's worth the upgrade..? seems that you can buy them for about 200 quid now...

cheers

As mentioned in another thread I lost my camera last week.
Seeming as you've got some to spare feel free to PM me for details on where to offload them ;)

Not sure I'd fancy the bulk of the D3, but it would appear to be an awesome camera.

Day off today, and it's lovely round these parts. Would have been a nice dog walking with camera day :(

ok, quick question here - I've got the canon 400d with the stock lens (don't use!), the nifty fifty (f1.8) and a 70-300mm...

was thinking about replacing my f1.8 with the f1.4 (30mm or 50mm) - do you think it's worth the upgrade..? seems that you can buy them for about 200 quid now...

cheers

cheers

I've been wondering the same. There is a new Sigma 50/1.4 which is being released and this may fix all of the problems I have with the Canon 50/1.4. The 1.4 isn't very well built, has a loose focus ring, and although sharp and contrasty doesn't always seem to focus well. I've borrowed one off a friend a fair bit and have always stuck with my 50/1.8

The Sigma 50/1.4 is due to be a high quality lens. I've tried their 30/1.4 and this is very nice, so i've got hopes for the 50. The 30/1.4 is only available for a crop body and since I use 1.6 crop, 1.3 crop and full frame cameras it isn't really an option for me.

So basically the canon 50/1.4 gives good results when it gets the focus, but is a bit loose and plasticy in the hand and feels a bit cheap for the money.

Cesare

If anyone is interested here is what is good and bad about the D3 so far. I’ve mostly been using it with a cheapish Nikkor zoom just to get used to the controls with the odd foray with a 50mm manual lens and an 85mm auto/manual.

Good

The viewfinder and rear display are both tremendous – easy to see if your shot is sharp before and after exposure

The battery life is amazing – Three days shooting (300 pictures) and it was still between 50% and 80% full

The camera works well with all my modern lenses and with the 50mm manual having programmed its focal length and F stop max into the lens 1 memory.

Auto focus with the 85mm camera is quick and accurate

A 14-24 lens really is super wide now without the DX crop. It stays sharp all the way to the edge at the widest setting with equal illumination throughout.

High speed mode is great for work on stuff like analyzing movement in a sports action (swing, throw, kick)

Its so usable (view finder, screen, speed of response, proper 35mm geometry, virtually impossible to cock things up with an auto prime lens) that it generates more pictures per day than the M8 or the S5.

Not so good

Can’t get the (old) 35mm manual lens to fit properly so its unusable – it’s probably the fault of the lens itself to be fair

Neck ache – when walking around with the 14-24 lens attached (not really different from the S5 with that lens)

Just as much of a dust magnet as the M8 (oh well I have a blower)

The resolution of the sensor (and the software) makes lack of quality from cheap lenses obvious especially the 24-85 at 50mm where it clearly isn’t as sharp as it seemed on the S1 Pro (where it used to live)

Colour balance is odd in some cases compared to the M8, but then again the M8 isn’t that accurate in low light.

Improved screen on back makes it easier to spot focussing errors leading to turning off auto-focus in some cases (especially with the 85/1.4) which slows you down when you’re in a hurry (not a problem for static images though)

Might make me have to buy some more auto focus primes or some manual ones which actually work – but then again they are an investment and I’m beginning to think that except for the 14-24 most zooms won’t make great pictures on this camera because of its resolution showing up distortion and leading to the use of cropping / lens correction later.

Spending more time with the resulting 100s of RAW images – need to do something about my workflow at which I am utterly incompetent tbh

Conlusion

I can’t really see any need for the S5 now that I have this thing, but for discrete street or even “party” photography the M8 will be staying.

Cliff,

The D3 is one hell of a tool, mate it with 28/50/85 Zeiss ZF lenses and you have a fairly compact robust incredible low light camera that will outperform your Leica (i had an M8 for 6 months) and offer you many other options as well. This week i have been testing the D3 against my Canon 1DS3 and it comes fairly close, in terms of colour and contrast i have to use my best glass, 35f1.4L /85f1.2L /135f2L to match the Zeiss glass, or for that matter the good Nikon glass. Had i not been a 1DS3 owner i would buy a D3 in a heartbeat, even though in real terms it falls slightly short of the Canon, just not far.

On the other hand, i still consider that film has a look that in many cases cannot be replicated by digital.... stick some colour neg in a 6x7 (Mamiya 7/Fuji GW670) or 5x4 camera and it will make you want to ditch the digital, if only life were that simple.

Gary.

Cliff,

The D3 is one hell of a tool, mate it with 28/50/85 Zeiss ZF lenses and you have a fairly compact robust incredible low light camera that will outperform your Leica (i had an M8 for 6 months) and offer you many other options as well. This week i have been testing the D3 against my Canon 1DS3 and it comes fairly close, in terms of colour and contrast i have to use my best glass, 35f1.4L /85f1.2L /135f2L to match the Zeiss glass, or for that matter the good Nikon glass. Had i not been a 1DS3 owner i would buy a D3 in a heartbeat, even though in real terms it falls slightly short of the Canon, just not far.

Seems like you've been doing some serious shopping yourself over the past couple of years. Is the 1DS3 the current top of the Canon range? How is it on reliability? The D3 is great (so far). I particularly like the replication of the major controls and grip for use in portrait mode. I'm not sure I need all those Zeiss lenses, as I already have the excellent Nikkor 85mm 1/1.4 D, but might be tempted to play with the 35mm one.

Did you borrow all that kit from your friendly local shop to play with?

Cheers
Cliff

Cliff,

Sounds like you are really enjoying your D3 - good stuff!

I think you've now found that your camera sensor allows you to shoot in lower light than the AF sensor in the camera supports, so you have to get cunning with focusing in low light to make sure you are going to get a good shot. The solution on Canon cameras is to shift the AF to a button under the thumb, and to lock AF onto a suitable bright object then to recompose and shoot with the shutter without worrying about the focus hunting (half shutter depress becomes an exposure lock). There will be an equivalent option on the Nikon, so dig around in the menus/manuals for such a configuration.

As for digital workflow, I use Aperture. My understanding is that lightroom is quite similar, so i'd investigate this as I believe you are a PC user. The trick is to sort, label and grade your images and to only fiddle with the ones you really care about. There is no point spending too much time on the 200 images you take - group and grade, find your picks, then post process these. I run Aperture on my laptop, so on my morning commute I tag/grade the previous days images.

Cesare

advertisement

Back