advertisement

Camera gift - Budget £250

Gerard124

pfm Member
My son wants to buy his girlfriend a camera as a gift - budget is £250

Any suggestions welcome?

They both like my Panasonic DMC-GX7 but that's too steep.

Something compact with retro styling would fit the bill I think from talking to him - she has no experience of photography but wants to dip her toe in the water.

As it's a gift it would need to be new.

£250 is a tricky price, it's *nearly* enough to pick up a nice micro 4/3rds, but probably body only...

On my travels this summer I took along my very old Nikon V1 as a spare camera, and it came in really handy and i'm really pleased with the results. I think that the Nikon 1 series is something to consider. How about this:

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/3016355R/clearance/nikon/1-s2-11-275mm-kit-red

Also, I see that the Canon mirrorless design can also be had at a good price, but pushing £300:

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/10131...non/eos-m10-compact-cameras-ef-m-15-45mm-lens

I can't really offer much advice about small compact cameras, preferring something with an interchangeable lens.

As an example, comparing shots, first is with a Fuji X-E1 with 18mm prime, second with Nikon V1 with 10-30 zoom. My son had the V1 and he got some lovely shots with it. The newer Nikon 1 series have a much better sensor, and redesigned lenses, so i'd have expected the image quality to have improved somewhat from the one i've been using.

DSCF3536 by Cesare Ferrari, on Flickr

DSC_1592 by Cesare Ferrari, on Flickr

Thank you Cesare,

I've emailed those two suggestions over to my son - shame the Nikon is Red!

I'm also going to show him that the Olympus OM-D E-M10 camera body is only £249 at Park Cameras - I'm tempted to get one for myself!

I took a punt on the Olympus OM-D E-M10 (for myself) and I hear its been delivered, looking forward to getting home and popping the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 on it :)

£249 seems like a right old bargain!

That's excellent. I saw that too, but wasn't sure what lenses you could get to go with it for your budget. I love it when older bodies are considered 'obsolete' and get sold off for a song...

I love it when older bodies are considered 'obsolete' and get sold off for a song...

Me too, I wasn't even looking for a camera for myself . . .

Just one small problem the battery was missing from the box so I can't have a play - they are sending one out tonight.

So far, looks and feels very tidy with the 20mm Panasonic lens.

advertisement

Back