advertisement

Buzzing from Naim NAP250 (Olive) -- from amp not speakers. Thoughts?

lennyw

Still throwing Eephus pitches
Hi all,
An acquaintance in Russia is having trouble with his "new" NAP250 (he bought it recently). It is buzzing, apparently from the left hand side. To clarify, it is not that it is producing a buzzing from the speakers, but that the amp itself is buzzing. He recorded it and I've uploaded it here (you may need to turn the volume up a tad):

I have owned a 180 in the past, and although I would say that it hummed (when one puts ones ear against it), it was never like this. Apparently he can hear it from 2-3m away, and it does it all the time that it's switched on.

I understand from what he's written that he could return it (which is what I would probably suggest to him), but before he does, I said that I would ask in the Pink Fish ocean to see if anyone has any thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be wrong but most likely explanation is noise on the mains is making the transformer buzz. It is intermittent or all of the time?

Sounds normal for a Naim amp/toroidal transformer, you should hear mine when they all get going.
Its noise on the mains supply doing it nothing to worry about.

Pete

Sounds similar to my 250, though the hum on mine varies during the day depending on how bad the mains is, eg. it gets especially bad when my next door neighbour puts the kettle on.. it's something you get used to. I guess if the mains is really bad then the buzz would be constant.

I don't think Chris means a Hicap, more likely a dedicated spur. Don't know if it would help though.

Stefan

Sounds similar to my 250, though the hum on mine varies during the day depending on how bad the mains is, eg. it gets especially bad when my next door neighbour puts the kettle on.. it's something you get used to. I guess if the mains is really bad then the buzz would be constant.

I don't think Chris means a Hicap, more likely a dedicated spur. Don't know if it would help though.

Stefan

Sorry I meant to have said a dedicated Mains Spur from the mains disribution box.

I'm not technically very competent, but I have heard that amps can buzz if the PSU caps need replacing.

advertisement

Back