advertisement

Bullsh** claims by manufacturers? - share your best ones.....

I recall it was originally advertised as some form of 'disk demagnetiser', and did claim some benefits...FFS!!!

However after a right kicking on AOS, the claims were removed (perhaps coincidentally), and the product squirrelled away under a an 'accessories' menu, but it's still available for £3.3K...should you feel the urge! ;-)

Here's the Furutech version, and not to be out done, this one demagnetises LP's and cables too ! http://www.furutech.com/2013/02/02/1792/

What the heck are they? I need some!?

Shun Mooks - two wooden discs the size of coins, put one on each loudspeaker, then you could adjust the soundstage by rotating the discs left or right (if I recall correctly).

I actually dislike audiophile USB cables more - in their defense, the Shun Mooks are obviously insane, an audio equivalent of reiki stones, whereas USB cables have a sheen of techno-babble that makes people think "oh maybe this could work" .

To be fair, a number of things that Belt suggested we all try were not actually to buy his products. Turning up corners of curtains, etc.

One that was reported in the HiFi press of the time was to, if your turntable had four feet, take a plain, unprinted piece of paper, and place it under the rear left foot.

It's free. It's easy.
It's also bullshit

So, we believe Peter Walker when he argues that all properly designed amplifiers sound the same, but we're sceptical when he says he can hear a fuse. OK, got it.

I was always amused that Peter Walker and David Hafler were both claiming that all properly designed amplifiers sound the same, around the same time, yet Quad amps and Hafler amps don't sound very similar at all.

"Perfect sound, forever" Sony/Philips circa 1982...

That one keeps being repeated by audiophiles without remembering the original context. It referred to the fact that no matter how many times you play a CD, the sound doesn't degrade at all.

What I love best about the Russ Abbott catalogue is the section where they visit one of their “valued customers” who generally has all of his fairly average equipment powered by Russ’s foo power cables and joined together with his overpriced cables.

You just know that on their visit they’ve taken stuff with them for an advantageous upgrade price.

There’s always a dictionary on a shelf in the pictures. Closer inspection would reveal said dictionary is bereft of the word ‘gullible’.

It’s tragic really.

No difference at all between interconnects as expected. Science predicts this and is of course right. Speaker cables, well the resistance can have an effect and so they need to be thick. Other than that no difference.
Can you elaborate on how ‘science predicts this’!? Different dielectric impedances, crosstalk etc surely likely to have some effect?

To be fair, a number of things that Belt suggested we all try were not actually to buy his products. Turning up corners of curtains, etc.

One that was reported in the HiFi press of the time was to, if your turntable had four feet, take a plain, unprinted piece of paper, and place it under the rear left foot.

It's free. It's easy.

Sceptics, why not try it, and report back?

That’s got me thinking, I wonder hwo different grades of paper sound!? And what color of paper sounds best?

I was always amused that Peter Walker and David Hafler were both claiming that all properly designed amplifiers sound the same, around the same time, yet Quad amps and Hafler amps don't sound very similar at all.
The only logical conclusion is that most of them were improperly designed! I wonder which ones were designed right!?

Can you elaborate on how ‘science predicts this’!? Different dielectric impedances, crosstalk etc surely likely to have some effect?

Science can predict the effect of the differences in those parameters, and in most cases the predicted effect is way below audibly detectable levels.

I've had to repair two Hafler DH220s. Maybe they weren't properly designed?
To be fair, they were getting on a bit.

I've had to repair two Hafler DH220s. Maybe they weren't properly designed?
To be fair, they were getting on a bit.

Did they sound the same as a Quad 405?

I have an untouched DH220 that is still running fine. Its sound quality is mediocre at best, but it still works.

advertisement

Back