advertisement

BT Sport - new charge heads up.

SteveS1

I heard that, pardon?
Previously this was free to BT customers, the inevitable charge arrives from 1st August - £5 pm. If you don't want it - you need to cancel. I've been hanging on for 20 mins waiting to cancel which can only be done by phone - natch.

The number is 0800 389 8414 if you want to avoid this charge which they are not being very forthcoming about.

Previously this was free to BT customers, the inevitable charge arrives from 1st August - £5 pm. If you don't want it - you need to cancel. I've been hanging on for 20 mins waiting to cancel which can only be done by phone - natch.

The number is 0800 389 8414 if you want to avoid this charge which they are not being very forthcoming about.

Plus all the other increases in line rental, call charges and broadband costs recently announced, or "changes to your account" as they are euphemistically termed by BT.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth having a fixed line at all, particularly as I don't use their (sh1t) tv service.

Typical way BT does business I'm afraid nowadays.
They are utterly loathsome in their underhand schemes.
They never paid out for free vouchers, and I was tricked into signing up for a new contract when they offered me a ' improved service' that won't cost you a penny'
Liars.
The problem is not enough proper competition in that market place and OFCOM are incompetently hopeless.
Off for a lie down.

I was thinking of hopping over to BT, because they throw in coverage of The Champions League for free. Maybe it's not such a good idea.

Jack

After my experiences with them, I wouldn't touch BT with a sh*tty stick. They're truly appalling.

Living in the broadband desert that is rural Suffolk, I was recently pleased to find an enterprising chap in the next village who's set up a mirowave broadband service and I've now got 24 mbps, which is a real treat after the 1 or so I got over the phone lines. £44 a month so not cheap. Anyway, I've just signed up for Vonage, a broadband 'phone system. Use my own phone, transfer my old number, no charge for calls unless to mobiles, £7 a month, no line rental.

I'm confused.... I'm a BT TV customer so will I have to pay an extra £5?

I've read different articles and it's not clear who's going to cop the charge. Some say if you're a BT TV customer, you won't have to pay extra and others are saying all BT customers will get charged extra??

I'm confused.... I'm a BT TV customer so will I have to pay an extra £5?

I've read different articles and it's not clear who's going to cop the charge. Some say if you're a BT TV customer, you won't have to pay extra and others are saying all BT customers will get charged extra??

BT Sport was given away free to BT customers. You now have two options to avoid the newly introduced monthly charge. Both involve speaking to them on that number in the OP. You can resume a free option called 'BT Sport Lite' which is one non-HD Channel and you can be sure nothing much will be on it. Or you cancel.

Have you not received any small print from BT recently about their line charge increases? If you never had BT Sport as an option or a free part of a contract - nothing for you to do. But if you did, they will start charging from 1st Aug unless you cancel or downgrade. So doing nothing if it's part of your package will cost you a fiver a month on top of the new higher bills.

It should be made illegal to offer contracts or services on-line that you can't cancel on-line. It would stop a lot of this sharp practice.

I've just had an online chat with BT and no, I won't be charged. I am a BT TV and Fibre broadband customer and BT Sport I believe is part of the TV package but I've never watched it.

Just changed to BT fibre via cabinet as no fibre to home available here. I can hit 70 mbps so content. I'll have to look at this £5 charge. Haven't got round to unwrapping the BT TV set top box yet!

All rather worrying as I have BT Sport as part of a package, but never watch it as I've close to zero interest in sport! From what I can figure out from the My BT page I'm not being charged for it, but I'll keep an eye on that. I suspect the time to keep an eye on it is exactly one year on from my initial order...

All rather worrying as I have BT Sport as part of a package, but never watch it as I've close to zero interest in sport! From what I can figure out from the My BT page I'm not being charged for it, but I'll keep an eye on that. I suspect the time to keep an eye on it is exactly one year on from my initial order...

Is that a TV package Tony? If so, it's different. The free BT Sport deal was phone/broadband contracts - it's these where they now want to charge or have you downgrade.

I was thinking of hopping over to BT, because they throw in coverage of The Champions League for free. Maybe it's not such a good idea.

Jack

And they are showing all the Europa League games if you want to follow Chelsea's Euro adventures in the new season. :D

Is that a TV package Tony? If so, it's different. The free BT Sport deal was phone/broadband contracts - it's these where they now want to charge or have you downgrade.

Yes, Broadband, phone and TV. I've got the additional TV channels etc, Discovery, National Geographic, Sci-Fi, Fox etc, in fact I've got them in HD, though they have just bumped the price on that bolt-on.

I had a call from BT, if I signed up for another year the sports channel is "free", is anything in life free?

I signed on the strength of my sons disapproval if he lost "his" sports channel.

I've just had a look at the email notifying us of changes, and can't find where they say this. Also looked at our account and can't find it there either. I'm confused!
We have the phone and broadband package, not TV. I have run a cable from the computer to the TV to watch MotoGP, which is our only interest in the sport.

I've just had a look at the email notifying us of changes, and can't find where they say this. Also looked at our account and can't find it there either. I'm confused!
We have the phone and broadband package, not TV. I have run a cable from the computer to the TV to watch MotoGP, which is our only interest in the sport.

After waiting 20 minutes to get through I spent a further 10 minutes discussing this with them this morning. We had a bill dated 20th July which, as usual, stated that the charge for BT Sport was £13.50 followed by another entry crediting the same amount giving us free BT Sport until 19 August. I received an e-mail on 28th July telling us about the £1 per month line rental increase; I followed the link to look at the other changes which included BT TV but not a mention anywhere of BT Sport.

The guy I spoke to said that letters about BT Sport no longer being free were sent out 15 days ago but lots of people hadn't received them. I told him that I only got the news on here late last night and asked to downgrade to BT Sport Lite which is still free as we have a broadband package with BT and gives me the Premiership games which is all I use it for. I asked if the charge would appear on next month's bill and he said it would as I should have 'phoned by yesterday to avoid it. According to the guy I spoke to the problem was not with BT but with the company delivering the letters. So much for paperless billing; within minutes of putting the 'phone down I received two e-mails and a voice message telling me that I had successfully downgraded. Why couldn't they have sent an e-mail about the charge being introduced?

I now have to call back when I get my next bill, and presumably waste another 20 minutes on the 'phone, trying to get this month's charge for a service I haven't used rescinded.

BT really are the worst company to deal with.

Well, we've just spent a happy hour and a half trying to contact them, then trying to get ant sense out of them. With impenetrable Indian accents! It ruins the rest of the day, the frustration of it.
Apparently as broadband customers we WILL be charged £5 p/m, but nowhere can we find where we were informed of this. And it's all for Champions League, in which we have zero interest! All we want is MotoGP, and not even HD, but we have to pay for all the other crap too. If there was an alternative I would use it, especially as BT Sport frequently won't work on our PC due to Silverlight issues, no matter which browser we try. It's fine on the laptop, but that means we can't get it to the TV. Grr.

Can't you run an HDMI into the television which is what we do?
Or did as we have just cancelled our BT order. We started off at 66Mb, currently lucky if we get 12Mb, often as low as 5Mb which makes it impossible to watch on-line. Our up-load speed now hovers around .25Mb (instead of the 15.7 estimated)
Moving over to Virgin without the Sports package which we can do without

BT are a cunch on bunts - but beats me why people pay extra to want tv anyway - how do you find the time?

I had a dealing with them when I moved house last year - I had to get my line transfered to the new house - did this online, but when I rang my ISP - they said I needed some code from bt - this I could only do when ringing up to transfer my line (but not online for some strange reason)... anyway a bt engineer was scheduled to come out in a few days, but I had to ring them up and cancel the transfer, then wait 24 hours and ring them back up to start the process again and get this code - all so the broadband could be connected when I moved in...

and when I rang them up the first time I asked if the engineer would still be coming out the same time etc (despite the fact I was cancelling and starting again)- the bt bloke said yes of course... but when I rang them up the next day this new guy said I'd have to wait an extra 8 days for the engineer... I lost it and swore at him like mad :D

advertisement

Back